NY chicken lover!!!!

If she is a large bird, I would quarantine her. Give her a lot of insoluble grit. I mean a lot, and put it on top of her food so she has to eat it. In her water an antibiotic. Are you feeding crumbles? What kind? This is Buckwheat, she got large and after a while the swelling went down and she began to lay again. She's swollen again but seems okay. The research I read was useless and I think there are to many reasons for Buckwheats condition to know what's what without cutting her open. So I did what I did and prayed. This was her afterwards.
Rancher thats a pretty girl.

I am a sad human... I have "chicken envy". I need acres just to keep all the birds I want.
I recently got 9 new babies. :) all is well in the world. I am at my limit for birds at 22.
For the first time I have 3 Silkies!!! 2 lavender Orpingtons, Copper Marans and 3 I'm not sure of's. :) I will be posting the pics of the "I don't know what they are's."
Hopefully you all can help me out.
We (my husband & I) are doing well. He came through the neck surgery and it has stopped the headaches he was getting. Some symptoms remain, doc Nick thinks its permanent nerve damage. But the pain is lessened so that's the most we can hope for.

Chick 1 has gray feet with a little bit of feathering.

I have 2 of these little ones they have slate colored feet without feathers.
Any ideas what they are?

I just cannot catch a break lately it seems :( Firstly Lemon, my red sex link, seems to be on the decline. I suspect ovarian cancer. She's four and a half, which is not horrible for a RSL. I sure am going to miss her when I lose her.

Secondly, I let my three week old ducklings out for the first time today. I went into the house for not ten minutes and the geese started going crazy. I ran outside to find a raven in the run with the ducklings attacking them. It went after their heads, and instead of just killing one and eating it, it went after both of them. One was pretty much dead by the time I got out there and died as I was carrying it into the house. The other has a very bad wound. I've cleaned it out, put neosporin on it, and wrapped it up with vet wrap. I've also given the little thing aspirin for the pain. I hope that it heals up fine but it is a very bad wound. The little thing is up and moving around (and calling for its dead sister). They're tough little things for sure. So everyone keep your fingers crossed for her.

I just cannot catch a break lately it seems :( Firstly Lemon, my red sex link, seems to be on the decline. I suspect ovarian cancer. She's four and a half, which is not horrible for a RSL. I sure am going to miss her when I lose her.

Secondly, I let my three week old ducklings out for the first time today. I went into the house for not ten minutes and the geese started going crazy. I ran outside to find a raven in the run with the ducklings attacking them. It went after their heads, and instead of just killing one and eating it, it went after both of them. One was pretty much dead by the time I got out there and died as I was carrying it into the house. The other has a very bad wound. I've cleaned it out, put neosporin on it, and wrapped it up with vet wrap. I've also given the little thing aspirin for the pain. I hope that it heals up fine but it is a very bad wound. The little thing is up and moving around (and calling for its dead sister). They're tough little things for sure. So everyone keep your fingers crossed for her.

So sorry Pyxis . I hope your luck changes quickly. Poor little one.

to add a bit more funny to our funny farm. That's Luna the farm cat eating corn on the cob. When did cats start eating corn??

When we started putting butter on it.
I acquired a cat that way by accident whenI was in high school, she found it in my compost pile and dragged it out and ate it. After that Merlyn just wouldn't leave. She turned into a spoiled old housecat and got addicted to my stepdad's Italian left overs.

RE: Horseheads,NY TSC swap meet 9/10th... I'm not really looking exactly, but there are some breeds I am interested in. I have a good starter set of year-old hens that I would like to swap. They are 2 Australorps and a Barred Rock. Full disclosure: they all have some curled toes, which doesn't affect their mobility or perching, and boy can they scratch! I have kept them in a penned urban yard, so the idea of free ranging might blow their minds. They're good layers, one of the Australorps is super bossy, but they're pretty good natured. I got a couple of Ee/Quechua/Ameraucanas that I intend to hold onto, and am casually looking for Isbars or Welsummer or Sussex or Chanticleer or Wyandotte...

Geez. I need a bigger place, somewhere I can have roos.

Last edited:

So sorry to hear this. My fingers are crossed. Wish you were closer.

I just cannot catch a break lately it seems
sad.png
Firstly Lemon, my red sex link, seems to be on the decline. I suspect ovarian cancer. She's four and a half, which is not horrible for a RSL. I sure am going to miss her when I lose her.

So Sorry ...it has got to get better...
A Raven / Crow ? I would have thought they were 2 big at this point ...You can shoot Crows ..cant you ?

Back
Top Bottom