NY chicken lover!!!!

I just cannot catch a break lately it seems
sad.png
Firstly Lemon, my red sex link, seems to be on the decline. I suspect ovarian cancer. She's four and a half, which is not horrible for a RSL. I sure am going to miss her when I lose her.

Secondly, I let my three week old ducklings out for the first time today. I went into the house for not ten minutes and the geese started going crazy. I ran outside to find a raven in the run with the ducklings attacking them. It went after their heads, and instead of just killing one and eating it, it went after both of them. One was pretty much dead by the time I got out there and died as I was carrying it into the house. The other has a very bad wound. I've cleaned it out, put neosporin on it, and wrapped it up with vet wrap. I've also given the little thing aspirin for the pain. I hope that it heals up fine but it is a very bad wound. The little thing is up and moving around (and calling for its dead sister). They're tough little things for sure. So everyone keep your fingers crossed for her.
I am sorry for your trouble.

Sometimes it can be a vitamin deficency .
there is a curly toe syndrome caused by a riboflavin deficiency.
.What are you feeding them ?
I got them as point-of-lay pullets and the guy who had ordered the peeps and grown them out to adolescence told me they would "grow out of it" but they didn't.

I don't know what he fed them, but all of the birds he raised were affected to one degree or another. Mine were the least twisted / fastest runners in the shed where he raised them. When I got them he told me that they had never been outside that shed.

I had them on flock raiser for the first month and then layer rations pellets. I offer grit and oyster shell as free choice. Recently I switched them from the TSC house brand (Dumor) to Purina's Layer ration with calcium because somebody has really thin shells, it seems to be helping that issue. I usually let them out to range around the yard for a couple of hours every day to get some grass, clover and bugs, etc.

At just over a year, is there anything I can do about it or are the poor babies stuck with crippled feet?

I got them as point-of-lay pullets and the guy who had ordered the peeps and grown them out to adolescence told me they would "grow out of it" but they didn't.

I don't know what he fed them, but all of the birds he raised were affected to one degree or another. Mine were the least twisted / fastest runners in the shed where he raised them. When I got them he told me that they had never been outside that shed. 

I had them on flock raiser for the first month and then layer rations pellets. I offer grit and oyster shell as free choice. Recently I switched them from the TSC house brand (Dumor) to Purina's Layer ration with calcium because somebody has really thin shells, it seems to be helping that issue. I usually let them out to range around the yard for a couple of hours every day to get some grass, clover and bugs, etc.

At just over a year, is there anything I can do about it or are the poor babies stuck with crippled feet?
sadly they are crippled for life. As long as they are not in pain I don't see it as a problem. I had a barbanter I got from Tao Chick in may who had some gnarly feet. He was my best roo as of yet. He could roost and would kick cockerel butt if need be. He was so sweet and loveable. Sadly one morning about 4am, all my birds freaked out and my boys threw a fit of a ruckus. Sadly when I got to the coop he had passed. Best we can figure is he had a heart-attack from the commotion.

Addendum: I just read this article on vitamin deficiencies in chickens. Specifically, I was looking for information on treating the curled toes on my starter set of chickens, as GRAMMA CHICK pointed out, this s probably riboflavin deficiency from chickhood. I'm sad to report that the author indicates that if the curled toe symptom doesn't get treated before they stop growing the damage is permanent. :-(

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/vitamin-deficiencies-poultry-rakesh-kumar

The author also discusses many other vitamin deficient health problems that chickens may have.

Last edited:
sadly they are crippled for life. As long as they are not in pain I don't see it as a problem. I had a barbanter I got from Tao Chick in may who had some gnarly feet. He was my best roo as of yet. He could roost and would kick cockerel butt if need be. He was so sweet and loveable. Sadly one morning about 4am, all my birds freaked out and my boys threw a fit of a ruckus. Sadly when I got to the coop he had passed. Best we can figure is he had a heart-attack from the commotion.
Wow. It never occured to me that a chicken could have a heart attack.

Thanks for the info. I feel bad about them, though the damage was probably permanent by the time I got them. They don't seem to be in any pain. I'll probably be keeping them for the duration. They are actually pretty good birds, though one always lays weird looking eggs... personally I think she's on the take from the dogs who have dibs on all the "ugly" eggs. They get scrambled eggs about once a week. Spoiled buggers.

Last edited:
I just cannot catch a break lately it seems
sad.png
Firstly Lemon, my red sex link, seems to be on the decline. I suspect ovarian cancer. She's four and a half, which is not horrible for a RSL. I sure am going to miss her when I lose her.

Secondly, I let my three week old ducklings out for the first time today. I went into the house for not ten minutes and the geese started going crazy. I ran outside to find a raven in the run with the ducklings attacking them. It went after their heads, and instead of just killing one and eating it, it went after both of them. One was pretty much dead by the time I got out there and died as I was carrying it into the house. The other has a very bad wound. I've cleaned it out, put neosporin on it, and wrapped it up with vet wrap. I've also given the little thing aspirin for the pain. I hope that it heals up fine but it is a very bad wound. The little thing is up and moving around (and calling for its dead sister). They're tough little things for sure. So everyone keep your fingers crossed for her.

So sorry Pyxis - it has to end now surely? How goes it with the not- so neighborly neighbors??

Wow. It never occured to me that a chicken could have a heart attack.

Thanks for the info. I feel bad about them, though the damage was probably permanent by the time I got them. They don't seem to be in any pain. I'll probably be keeping them for the duration. They are actually pretty good birds, though one always lays weird looking eggs... personally I think she's on the take from the dogs who have dibs on all the "ugly" eggs. They get scrambled eggs about once a week. Spoiled buggers.
poor critters can suffer from most illness we can. Kidney disease, normally from too much protein. Blindness from all sorts of reasons.

Back
Top Bottom