NY chicken lover!!!!

Thanks purple iris! Nice to meet ya. Yes, I admit, I do sneak in a lot of online chicken time after midnight. lol. Your chickens are pretty! I'm not sure how I decided to get chickens...the idea popped in my head one day and I placed an order with Cackle. So glad I did, as I just adore them all. If anyone told me 5 years ago that I'd be a chicken lover today....I would have died laughing! But here I am with chickens in my house, eating better than I do. Yes, the snow is not favored here by my flock either. But the crazy birds willingly stayed out in the rain all day yesterday. Here's some of my Non-human kids.
1f60a.png

Welcome to BYC! :welcome
I'm more partial to the big birds, bantams are cool though. One of my favorites when I was a kid was a black Japanese bantam hen that hatched the majority of my fathers chicks (RIR), doubt he even knew what a incubator was, she was the best broody mom ever.
I've seen some awesome Mille Fleur D'Uccle, Serama's and some frizzles of varying breeds, hatching eggs on the 24hr auction thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754060/the-new-crazy-24hr-auction-thread

Thanks! Nice to meet you. I'm still working on navigating this forum. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
1f60d.png
I love those Japanese bantams too....sigh. I think this site is going to get me in trouble with my hubby.
1f602.png
1f602.png

Thanks purple iris! Nice to meet ya. Yes, I admit, I do sneak in a lot of online chicken time after midnight. lol. Your chickens are pretty! I'm not sure how I decided to get chickens...the idea popped in my head one day and I placed an order with Cackle. So glad I did, as I just adore them all. If anyone told me 5 years ago that I'd be a chicken lover today....I would have died laughing! But here I am with chickens in my house, eating better than I do. Yes, the snow is not favored here by my flock either. But the crazy birds willingly stayed out in the rain all day yesterday. Here's some of my Non-human kids.
1f60a.png

Welcome Bantie! You've got some cuties!
I have some Cochin crosses & Cochin/silkie crosses - just love them for raising out chicks!

Hi all.
1f917.png
Chicken girl 15 Reffered me here. (Thank you!) I'm in Newark Valley NY - Tioga county. Close to Ithaca and Binghamton areas. It's nice to see so many chicken people fairly close to me here! I'm kind of a chicken newb...have only been a chicken Mom of 9 for a year now but have been soaking up info from you pros like a sponge. I prefer bantams and hope to make some connections with local breeders via this group to get some more Banties. Especially Looking for bantam bearded Millie fluer D'Uccle, Serama, sebright, EE, and frizzle polish.

Welcome to BYC! My brother and sister in law live in Newark Valley too!
Your birds are pretty!

Welcome Bantie Bittie! I am in Lake Pleasant, NY in the Southern Adirondacks and have a small flock of Silkie bantams! Love my fluff balls. The people here are so nice so don't be afraid to get right in and ask questions and share stories!

Good Morning! So last year many of you were kind enough to answer many of my questions as we started out with our first chickens. We have 1 hen each of a SLW, GLW, RIR, EE, Buff Orp, and a Barred Rock. They are all sweet and healthy girls. Then we have 1 rooster, Joey, who is a Black Australorp - handsome guy but a real jerk and needs to go within the next few months. See his photo below.

My questions are - does anyone know where I can purchase within a days drive a Black Cooper Maran (or possibly a different type of Maran), a blue egg layer of large breed/winter hardy type(a Cream Legbar or Ameraucana?), and a new rooster - possibly a Cream Legbar, or any large breed, dual purpose, winter hardy handsome guy :) We'd probably buy chicks, so it would be great to fill in with Dark Cornish maybe?

We just want a pretty flock that lays different colored eggs, and a new rooster that doesn't attack us. Nature's Berry has closed :( That's where we were going to try this year. Any suggestions on where to purchase a few chicks? We are looking at Meyers if we can't find them locally (Western NY or within a day round trip drive).

Last edited:
Good Morning! So last year many of you were kind enough to answer many of my questions as we started out with our first chickens. We have 1 hen each of a SLW, GLW, RIR, EE, Buff Orp, and a Barred Rock. They are all sweet and healthy girls. Then we have 1 rooster, Joey, who is a Black Australorp - handsome guy but a real jerk and needs to go within the next few months. See his photo below. My questions are - does anyone know where I can purchase within a days drive a Black Cooper Maran (or possibly a different type of Maran), a blue egg layer of large breed/winter hardy type(a Cream Legbar or Ameraucana?), and a new rooster - possibly a Cream Legbar, or any large breed, dual purpose, winter hardy handsome guy :) We'd probably buy chicks, so it would be great to fill in with Dark Cornish maybe? We just want a pretty flock that lays different colored eggs, and a new rooster that doesn't attack us. Nature's Berry has closed :( That's where we were going to try this year. Any suggestions on where to purchase a few chicks? We are looking at Meyers if we can't find them locally (Western NY or within a day round trip drive). .
what town are you in? I have 7 roosters that are very kind if you want to swap for your mean one.

Good Morning! So last year many of you were kind enough to answer many of my questions as we started out with our first chickens. We have 1 hen each of a SLW, GLW, RIR, EE, Buff Orp, and a Barred Rock. They are all sweet and healthy girls. Then we have 1 rooster, Joey, who is a Black Australorp - handsome guy but a real jerk and needs to go within the next few months. See his photo below.

My questions are - does anyone know where I can purchase within a days drive a Black Cooper Maran (or possibly a different type of Maran), a blue egg layer of large breed/winter hardy type(a Cream Legbar or Ameraucana?), and a new rooster - possibly a Cream Legbar, or any large breed, dual purpose, winter hardy handsome guy :) We'd probably buy chicks, so it would be great to fill in with Dark Cornish maybe?

We just want a pretty flock that lays different colored eggs, and a new rooster that doesn't attack us. Nature's Berry has closed :( That's where we were going to try this year. Any suggestions on where to purchase a few chicks? We are looking at Meyers if we can't find them locally (Western NY or within a day round trip drive).

Too bad you are so far away. I have everything you want hatched out from last spring. Wheaten Ameraucana pair, black copper marans pullet and a dozen or so hefty cockerels who are very respectful.

Back
Top Bottom