NY chicken lover!!!!

Hi guys, we got a couple year old layers yesterday from a farm. Last night one started with a cough a little bit (we have the two quarantined from our flock and will do so for 30 days). Today she has one eye half shut and looks slightly swollen around that area (sinus?) and the eye is runny. The other one coughed a couple times today so I assume she is next. Does this sound like just a cold from transporting them? Any ideas what I can do to help them? Anything over the counter I can use? Don't know a vet right now that does chickens and don't want to transport them any more and have them get even sicker. The one that started coughing today is doing something weird too - she will go up to the food dish (or treats that we throw to her) and after she's done she backs up til she hits the wall then goes forward again. Really weird. The husband wonders if she has something wrong neurologically? She seems fine otherwise, just the cough and is eating and drinking fine. Both of them have normal poop. Any suggestions are welcome!

Edit: in searching I'm getting a little worried. Reading that regardless what it is that she would now be a carrier of it for life and the rest of the flock will now always be at risk? Is this true? If so, our regular flock has NEVER been sick and we will not put this new one with them. Most likely will have to cull if that's the case, and I'm praying it's not.
Once a bird is exposed to one of several respiratory viruses, they become carriers for life. Stress will cause symptoms of that disease to emerge. The person you got them from may not be aware that the birds were carriers. I almost never buy adult birds for this reason.

I was hoping to hear otherwise. I'm just sick. We got these two because we couldn't afford (space wise) to get 6 more babies this year, just wanted to add one or two as we need the eggs. Now it seems to keep the rest of our flock as healthy as they've always been we will need to do something I dread beyond words. :( The one with the runny eye is clearly sick (or her eye wouldn't be running), but the other doesn't have any signs like that, just walking backward now and again. Not sure if we should keep her or what. Dang it, just want to do the right thing and not sure what that is. :(

I was hoping to hear otherwise. I'm just sick. We got these two because we couldn't afford (space wise) to get 6 more babies this year, just wanted to add one or two as we need the eggs. Now it seems to keep the rest of our flock as healthy as they've always been we will need to do something I dread beyond words. :( The one with the runny eye is clearly sick (or her eye wouldn't be running), but the other doesn't have any signs like that, just walking backward now and again. Not sure if we should keep her or what. Dang it, just want to do the right thing and not sure what that is. :(

If one has it, the other has it. She's just being a 'silent carrier' at the moment. Unfortunately, if you want to keep your other birds healthy and disease free, the only thing you can do is cull the two new ones.

I was thinking of adding 3 new hens to my flock . They actually live up the road from me . 3 Adult Australorp Hens .. but now I am thinking twice about it ...They have too many eggs... so they want to downsize ..I think I will look at their flock before I decide

Any chance it's "only" from transporting and not a true respiratory problem? As you can tell I'm really trying to save them (heart) but I know the chances are slim (head). 😭

Any chance it's "only" from transporting and not a true respiratory problem? As you can tell I'm really trying to save them (heart) but I know the chances are slim (head). 😭
Highly unlikely. They probably have been incubating the virus for a few days and now you are teh (un)lucky recipient of 2 sick birds.
If you have a huge amount of land you could always build another coop well away from your present flock, but the potential for infection is still there :(

Highly unlikely. They probably have been incubating the virus for a few days and now you are teh (un)lucky recipient of 2 sick birds.
If you have a huge amount of land you could always build another coop well away from your present flock, but the potential for infection is still there :(

Thanks. :( I'm so upset about this. We do have land but don't need the extra work of taking care of two coops. I should have known better but was so excited that this person had the two breeds I was looking for and was close by. And my feelings aside, what a rotten life for these two birds and to have it end like this. Have only known them a couple days and the tears are running knowing what their fate is.

Well now don't feel too bad. Once bought chicks from a breeder and they had problems. These things happen. I've had my share of experiences over the years. That was why I kept a closed flock and hatched my own chicks. Even with a closed flock you could have problems. I always culled the sick birds as to not allow the bad gene to be carried on. Always Quarantine new chicks and birds. Stress is the number one killer. Even in humans stress can bring on problems. Stay away from stressful people and remain calm. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom