NY chicken lover!!!!

Pharmachickmom: Nice thought about all the secluded land and taking care of chickens; however, more land means more areas to keep clear, a bigger garden, more places to keep all your junk you don't want to haul away etc. etc. I dream about having a small house on a postage size piece of land with just a half dozen silkies to keep me company! The grass is always greener on the other side. K.....
Ain't that the truth. We have 26 acres and thought it would be wonderful.. It IS, but it's also a constant battle to keep the forest from taking over what cleared land we have. I can't keep up with the weeds, the trees, etc.. :p

Hello Everyone, My husband and I live just outside of Ithaca. We started raising our chicks just about a year ago and have truly enjoyed the fun. Within the next year, our family is considering raising chickens to harvest. First and formost, we want to find a local processer. Does anyone know of a processer that is within 25 or so miles of our area? I don't mind raising them, but don't feel comfortable with processing them. So if anyone lives in the Ithaca area and knows a good processer please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Nah, I had 9-10 week old roos trying to have their way with the females that were about 16 weeks.. Only question is how many boys per girl? 4 months old is almost point of lay and the roo probably knows that. :) My older roos don't even bother if the combs aren't pink.

I have a 4 month old roo that doesn't even LOOK at the ladies yet /sigh. And he's so pretty too - his ladies are laying gorgeous blue infertile eggs.

Oh and peeps... Just found out in time for my birthday (monday) - I got the job! woo hoo!
ya.gif
congratulations!

Thanks Featherz I have the one roo in with 17 girls. Yes the ones he was breeding had the redder of the chicks combs. Guess I better be getting nesting boxes in sooner rather then later.

Hey everyone question time! Yesterday I found some of my Del hens looking a bit dirty and was like what the heck?? They are about 3 1/2 to 4 months old. Well last night when it was time to coop up for the night heard this terriable noise coming from inside coop and opened it up to see my roo also same age trying to breed one of the "dirty" girls and was like ok thought you guys where alittle young for this?? The girls have not started to lay yet will this do anything to them or make them come into egg laying any earlier? Have no idea all help would be appreciated!
They could be dust bathing or trying to anyways. One possibility on being dirty.

Nah, I had 9-10 week old roos trying to have their way with the females that were about 16 weeks.. Only question is how many boys per girl? 4 months old is almost point of lay and the roo probably knows that. :) My older roos don't even bother if the combs aren't pink.

I have a 4 month old roo that doesn't even LOOK at the ladies yet /sigh. And he's so pretty too - his ladies are laying gorgeous blue infertile eggs.

Oh and peeps... Just found out in time for my birthday (monday) - I got the job! woo hoo!

Congratulations!! when do you start?

Hello Everyone, My husband and I live just outside of Ithaca. We started raising our chicks just about a year ago and have truly enjoyed the fun. Within the next year, our family is considering raising chickens to harvest. First and formost, we want to find a local processer. Does anyone know of a processer that is within 25 or so miles of our area? I don't mind raising them, but don't feel comfortable with processing them. So if anyone lives in the Ithaca area and knows a good processer please let me know. Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the NY thread on BYC!! The processor I use is near Coxsakie, NY. It is a long way from Ithaca! Hopefully some one will chime in with something nearer.

Back
Top Bottom