NY chicken lover!!!!

Hello all! Hope you are having great days. Well, Saturday morning, the fun began. Within 30 hours, we had about 80 quail hatch. What a busy day! They are cute little buggers. I will have to post pics later.

Morning all. Dreary day today so its a good day to do chores. Going to the feed store so that should be good for raising the heart rate and blood pressure! Getting a pullet egg every day. My hens are not laying so well. Dh and I were discussing if and when to cull some. We need a camera to take pics in the coop of who is laying and who isnt. Elanor is broody so we know she isnt and because she is such a good broody we are keeping her for hatching purposes next year. Her psychotic sister betty, however, may go to freezer camp. I suspect she isnt laying. Nonlayers will be culled as feed is too expensive. I love my cheeps but there it is. One of the randy rir boys chased down and mated one of my hens last night. This led to Trouble, the lead hen, going after him and kicking his can all over the yard. She is a big girl and no one to trifle with (but is very cooperative and calm with us). The boys were awake early this morning, but only 2 of them really crow. Little man doesnt start till 6 or if he sees me, and even then its only for a couple of minutes. I think the pullets will all be happy when we are down to two roos. I now have 2 broody silkie girls who are going to be dissappointed because I refuse to hatch any more chicks. Both are being witchy too.

Cass--you have an awsomely wicked case of morefowl disease. I heard there is no cure but you can control it through "diet and exercise"!

Rancher--good to see that you are an active enabler. Pretty soon the disease will be spread to the newbie!

Oh--I have white oaks so I am going to gather acorns this fall and break them and see if my chickens eat them. If they do, that will be an added form of exercise for me (gathering and cracking) and some free, high protein food for them. I will keep you all posted on the results.
on the acorns. I can't seem to get an old timer to answer my question on that thread.

I have my first bantam splash cochins eggs for the year hatching under my hen!!!!!!!!!!
woot.gif
droolin.gif
wee.gif

Go Java! Make sure to get pics!

Glass--let me know if you find out how to use them for people. I would be interested in trying them.

Thanks for trying Stony. I have already decided I am going to give it a go. Hopefully they will like it and hopefully there will be a good mast crop!

Go Java! Make sure to get pics!

Glass--let me know if you find out how to use them for people. I would be interested in trying them.

Thanks for trying Stony. I have already decided I am going to give it a go. Hopefully they will like it and hopefully there will be a good mast crop!
I'm pretty curious myself.....

I have 7 chicks hatched so far. 2 RIR (or red leghorns, the original owner can't remember which), one Maran, 2 Lav Ameruacanas and one total Mutt. I didn't even think the green egg was fertile, but it hatched out a cute little black chick, so it must have been fertile.

I don't want any more chickens. I really really am at max capacity. Ok, I'll admit it. My chickens are CROWDED and will have to remain crowded until the bus comes to take the roos to freezer camp. Now the roos I am speaking of are just 8 weeks old. Oh wait, some of them are still in the shell. That bus is gonna be a long time coming. sigh I see my fingers freezing as I pluck chicken feathers in December. I don't even know how many roos I have yet, cuz the jury is still out on the chicks from Featherz and I may keep one of the D'uccle roos in the small side of the coop.
The eggs you gave me, yup all 3 hatched and are now BEAUTIFUL! Growing up nice and healthy. Can't wait for some eggs! I have a black/blue Ameracauna run now too. My girls are bringing them to the Altamont Fair. Let's go show birds! Thank you so much!

Just found my buff brahma bantam mama dead in the yard an hour ago, minus a head. 3 of the babies are gone without a trace and the other 2 are staying with daddy (he's such a good roo). All were well and accounted for at 12:30. I could see them out the window plus the farmer was going in and out of the drive all afternoon with the trucks and tractors. I didn't hear a thing so it must have happeded when I wash vacuuming and steam cleaning. It was broad daylight! Would a dog eat the head like that? Then to top it off the younger batch of bantam babies were gone when I went through to check everyone else. There is a small hole in the wall, hence mamas in coop babies not. Babies are gone with out a trace too.

sad.png

Just found my buff brahma bantam mama dead in the yard an hour ago, minus a head. 3 of the babies are gone without a trace and the other 2 are staying with daddy (he's such a good roo). All were well and accounted for at 12:30. I could see them out the window plus the farmer was going in and out of the drive all afternoon with the trucks and tractors. I didn't hear a thing so it must have happeded when I wash vacuuming and steam cleaning. It was broad daylight! Would a dog eat the head like that? Then to top it off the younger batch of bantam babies were gone when I went through to check everyone else. There is a small hole in the wall, hence mamas in coop babies not. Babies are gone with out a trace too.

sad.png
hit.gif
The predators are bad this year.. =( I know my fox comes out in broad daylight... although usually they take the whole bird, not just the head.. I thought decapitating was a coon thing.. but in daylight? Maybe a mama with babies to feed?

Last edited:

sad.png
coon. Young coon. I've shot them at 6pm and this morning I shot a young coon at 10am. That is TEN coon's I killed this year so far. All chickens are accounted for today thankfully

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom