NY chicken lover!!!!

My egg customers don't seemed to be concerned with soy being fed to the chickens. But, if you did not fed soy, as found in most commercial chicken feeds, what would you feed? And if it were an animal protein source, how would that be preserved in a grain mixture?
My local grain company uses Canola and charges just $.25 more per 50lbs. I don't really sell eggs for eating now, but was thinking about it. I see in health food stores, soy free eggs go for around $4.00. That appeals to me! LOL

But then, I'd have to have more chickens that lay more consistantly....donn't know if I'm up to that. I know I avoid soy myself, but am not a fanatic about it. There is so much soy in chicken feed, it makes me wonder what its doing to the chickens...hormonal & all that....

I am down to the following in birds, anyone? Price is right=-=free.

1 Coronation Sussex cockerel-old enough for breeding
1 black copper Marans cockerel
2 blue copper Marans cockerels
a lot of silkies..different colors, mostly blueish, a pure buff roo.
2 splash Marans cockerels

I think that is it.

I'm up to or down to (depending on my mood) 37 chickens. I recently lost 2 (and I don't mean they died, I mean I actually LOST them, not a chicken feather left anywhere to indicate what happened to them) THEN I had 2 hatch over the weekend. (I guess that answers the question of fertility on those eggs) Now most people would be very excited to have that number of chickens. However the MAX capasity of my 2 coops is 20. So I am trying to figure out which ones to give away. I figure "ok, those 2 can go" then they do something cute and I say "nawh, I'll pick a different couple".

I DO have 2 roosters that have an appointment with the Freezer Camp director in the near future. I am not going to feed extra roos for the winter. Then I have 2 more I suspect are roos, but are really too young to tell, so they will probably over winter (and eat all my feed) and head for Camp Crock Pot the first nice weekend in the spring.

What I need is more space for chickens, cuz I keep having broodies hatch them and then I can't get myself to give them away. Of course convincing the 7 Sumantras that they really belong outside the coop would help too, but they will not be persuaded.

I only have 10, and one of the roos has to be culled. my fiance will butcher him, he's a taxidermist and avid hunter, and has zero attachment to Royce, who is the designated one to go... I'm attached... I wish I was in a position to keep him regardless, but... it's not realistic and I'm sure he will be delicious. One of my postal customers has offered me $40 for his cape... that alone makes the decision easier... I have room for more hens... I was leaving the room open for Springtime, see what I might be able to hatch if I get a broody, but I have room for 6 more keepers without having to expand.

Wow, I haven't been in this thread in forever. I've read back a little.... I really love seeing everyone's photos. Aria, I'm sorry to hear that you lost silkies in a hawk attack :( I was just in the buy/sell/trade area and there's a gal giving away silkies for free, but she's in PA. I don't know how far of a drive that is for you.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday!

My local grain company uses Canola and charges just $.25 more per 50lbs. I don't really sell eggs for eating now, but was thinking about it. I see in health food stores, soy free eggs go for around $4.00. That appeals to me! LOL

But then, I'd have to have more chickens that lay more consistantly....donn't know if I'm up to that. I know I avoid soy myself, but am not a fanatic about it. There is so much soy in chicken feed, it makes me wonder what its doing to the chickens...hormonal & all that....

Soy oil??? I was thinking that the soy was for protein, maybe that is for organic feeds.......I will have to check my grain bag......

My eggs, organic grains and pastured chickens, go for $4.00 a dozen. I have more customers than I do eggs....

Back
Top Bottom