NYS bobwhite quail release program

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Anyone participate in the NYS quail release? What's your set up? I'm not allowed to have roosters (per landlord), but they own 60+ acres and said I could release quail per the DEC regs. They are also next to 29,500 acres of state land. I was thinking this would be a fun hatch project since I don't have to worry about sexing the birds.

Is winter habitat in NY state conducive to quail survival ? Here in NJ Coopers and Sharpshin hawks are a serious problem with survival. Sounds like an interesting project.

According to the DEC, "Northern bobwhites breed and winter in New York—the northern extent of the range—where they occur in open, early-successional habitats and farmland."

Unless your releasing thousands of birds at a time, the survival rate for just a few birds (even in the hundereds) isn't very good.
And as @sourland , has stated, "winter habitat in NY state isn't condusive to quail survival".
But if your determined to try....good luck!

Unless your releasing thousands of birds at a time, the survival rate for just a few birds (even in the hundereds) isn't very good.
And as @sourland , has stated, "winter habitat in NY state isn't condusive to quail survival".
But if your determined to try....good luck!
Bobwhites are native to the region and every year thousands are released a year. There are several farms near me that release 300-500 every year.

Back
Top Bottom