1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Uhm... I think this is the right thread xD!!!! But We have this 1 1/2+ Year old hen... BA And her name is Jewels and our rooster (Marbles a Barred Rock is about 8 months old I believe..) Well... Jewel's is just like walking around.. and then all of the sudden the Rooster jumps on Jewel's back and just likes sits there and puts his beak in her head feathers... Are they like having babies?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Yes he is trying to have his way with Jewel. He is still very young and Jewel's eggs may or may not be fertile. There will not be any chicks unless Jewel becomes broody, or you put the eggs in an incubator. (You will need to read more about that here on the forum.) Marbles will start doing this kind of behavior more and more as he gets older, and Jewel will most likely let him. Marbles may get much more aggressive with Jewel and may rip feathers off of her back. You may need to separate them so he doesn't hurt her.

3. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Oh thank you! We're trying to have baby chicks, but were waiting until spring so they don't freeze.. [​IMG] Heehee! That means hes cheating on his other girl! Also, can ou still eat the eggs when their furtle?

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yes--no problem--they will have to be brooded for at least several days at 99 degrees before an embryo starts to develop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by