oak leaves

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jprice2ndlt, Sep 29, 2009.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    is is ok for chickens to eat oak leaves. I had to intergrate some of my chickens today and i made them a hideout with some oak limbs and i wanted to make sure the leaves wouldnt hurt them

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    mine live under an oak. they have lived there with the leaves for 20 months. They should be OK!

3. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    thanks

4. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Mine live under Red oaks and white oaks and Scrub oaks, I think the oaks a different over here in CALF, but I think you will ok. Make sure they have grit to keep their crops clear.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Shouldn't but if it were many other animals I'd say remove the leaves. Oak is high in tannins which can cause health problems for mammals. As a generally rule don't purposely feed oak leaves to anything. I wouldn't worry about chickens finding them on their own though.

6. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    What about the acorns? We have three different kinds of oaks in the yard and tons of acorns, large medium and small.

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Acorns would be fine. The hulls still contain tannins but animals rarely eat that and it's not nearly as much as what's found in bark and leaves. My stock tanks turn brown and have to be emptied more frequently in the fall because of all the stuff falling off the oak tree and releasing tannins into the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by