Oatmeal

TEXASSCENT

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
On Especially Cold Days I Give My Chick-ladies Hot Oatmeal. Is This Ok And Should I Do It Often?

welcome-byc.gif
It won't hurt them. And they will greatly appreciate it. I feed mine oatmeal and rice on cold days. To warm them up a little. The poor babies.

Whole Oats would be much better.

Nothing wrong with the oatmeal except that (1) it is way to expensive for chicken feed and (2) it has lost most of it's nutritional content through the mill and age.
Whole Oats retain there nutritional content longer.... as does any whole grain.
Whole grains are always the way to go over milled or cracked feed when you can get them.

I pay $9 for a 50 lb bag of Whole Oats.

I really should buy oatmeal by the ton. My girls love it! Cooked on a cold day or raw out of carton, doesn't matter. Next to tomatoes and cantaloupe, it's their favorite treat. Whole grain is better than the quick oats.
frow.gif

I give mine DRY, old fashioned oat meal for treats. The cheap brand without any added salt. I have never cooked oatmeal for my flock. I feel so .... mean.

But it's great for hand-feeding. I also toss some for the shyer birds with lower rank, because the Very Important Flock Members won't let them close.

Quote:
I agree I was feeding them store bought but after reading your comment I bought 50 pounds it cost around 13 bucks. Feed prices fluctuate daily . Its good stuff on cold morning it was 11 % protein.

Every Monday and Thursday I make oatmeal for breakfast - the long cooking kind. I make an extra serving for the chickens. . . add some seeds and raisins to the oatmeal and my chickens L-O-V-E it.

Back
Top Bottom