Oats: Crimped or whole?

Ahab

Songster
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Maine
My four-week-old Anconas love rolled oats in addition to their Flock Raiser (working toward Holderread's recommendation of cutting commercial pellets with oats up to 25% by weight), but rolled oats from the grocery store are pricey, and the feed store carries oats only in whole or crimped. Does anyone have a particular preference? I'd prefer to feed whole, because modified grains spoil quickly, but there's no point investing in a 50-pound bag of whole oats if the ducks won't eat it.

I found crimped was easier for mine to eat, but then I found it in smaller amounts when I found it. I know what you mean about price, it ended up costing me the same to feed 11 birds as it did when I would only have 3-4 because of getting smaller amounts because of spoilage issues.

Crimped oats are rolled and they are probably stream rolled. They are easier to digest, so that is what I would recommend over whole oats.

If you store 50 pounds of crimped oats in a water proof, rodent proof container, they will last for a very long time. Just don't let them get wet or they will spoil.

I store grain in a metal trash can with a tight fitting lid. That is then stored inside a building and away from weather.

Bringing up a old thread.

I went to the feed store yesterday for oats, and didn't realize until this morning that they are whole. Will it hurt the ducks to eat them? I know rolled is better, but I now have a opened bag of whole oats and I don't know what to do with it. Thx

Fast-forward 10 months, and my Anconas happily eat whole oats, a supplement to their Flockraiser, fed free-choice. The oats go in a separate trough in late afternoon, as much as they'll eat in 15 minutes or so. They need access to plenty of grit when eating whole grains.

Fast-forward 10 months, and my Anconas happily eat whole oats, a supplement to their Flockraiser, fed free-choice. The oats go in a separate trough in late afternoon, as much as they'll eat in 15 minutes or so. They need access to plenty of grit when eating whole grains.

Perfect, and for grit they get their oyster shell and chick grit. Unfortunately, chick grit is the only thing available to me. At least I now have a purpose for the 50lb bag of oats.
smile.png
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom