Oats on a Frosty Morn (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sheilawagner, Dec 30, 2010.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    This morning, it was down in the 20s, and we had a thick cover of frost. If it was snow, the chickies would have stayed in their enclosure, but since it was just frost, they were out looking for sunny spots to sunbathe.

I brought them out oats in hot water, so they were very happy to warm up their bellies from the night.

[​IMG]
    All my birds get along, so I'm very blessed. I keep only docile friendly breeds. Anyone who shows naughty behavior gets culled.

[​IMG]
    My beautiful Bluebell, a blue Cochin bantam pullet

[​IMG]
    The Queen of the flock. She is one of the tiniest birds in the flock, but the oldest and most experienced. Seen here conversing with her minions - Buff Orps.

[​IMG]
    The Queen, a Dutch bantam hen. She was given to us by friends 2 years ago, and is the only remaining bird of our very first chickens. She is very wise and experienced.

[​IMG]
    Doesn't' matter if you're black or white. 2 black silkie pullets share oats with 2 Delawares.

[​IMG]
    A red silkie pullet

[​IMG]
    A blue silkie pullet

[​IMG]
    3 Buff pullets - a frizzle Cochin bantam pullet, a silkie, and an orp

[​IMG]
    The birds can feel safe foraging in the open, when they have an Airedale protector watching over the flock

[​IMG]
    Rummy watches over the flock as they graze

[​IMG]
    Blue and Black silkie face off

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wonderful photos! Your Airedale looks so serious about his duties.

3. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Great pics. love the combination of birds they are just two darn cute and you have to just know that the smallest (the Queen) would be the wisest we have a sexlink that is the head of out flock and she is the smallest Queen of Sheba, she was the first to try everything since she was a chick. Thanks for sharing your morning feed!

[​IMG]

4. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Beautiful chickens. What would you call The Queen's color? I have a EE hen with the same coloring.

5. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Oh thats adorable! very pretty birds! (and dog) [​IMG]

6. Bammy

Bammy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Snow Shoe, PA.
    Oh, I am in love with the buff frizzle! I have a black cochin frizzle named Happy because she makes everyone smile.

7. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    what beautiful chickens and the dog too! I have been feeding mine sweet cob in hot water, they look for me every morning, part of the joys of owning hens, IMO.

8. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Quote:I think it is a silver Dutch, but I could be wrong. When her previous owners gave her to us, they didn't really care or know too much about names and colors. They just had too many yard birds and were giving away those they didn't bond with.

She is a lot more flightier than all our birds, in fact, she's the most wild. And I can understand why. She's a lot more aloof and detached, not keen on human touch, or eating out of hands. Only this year, I managed to start petting her while she was in a nestbox, and she started eating out of my hands this Fall. Its been 2 years!!

She's feisty and everyone in flock is afraid of her, and gives her a wide berth. She likes to spend time with the big girls, the buff orps, delawares and the rock. Her preferred male is Smokey, but I have not seen any of the boys dare to get funky with her.

9. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My chicks love oats - and so does my poodle. One day, I had fixed chickies a big bowl, turned my back for a few seconds, and when I turned around I had 8 little RIR chicks & 1 little white poodle eating out of the bowl! Oh, why can't I carry a camera around with me at all times!!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  10. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Great photos! Thanks for posting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by