Oats???????

I soak them in water mostly when weather gets cold. The oats start to germinate activating some vitamins and making some of the protein more available. Letting it ferment can improve palatbility. Both endpoints allow getting more water in with diet. Care must be taken so too much oats intake does not dilute intake of key nutrients. The oats are relatively low in protein but high in energy.

I use oat grain like you purchase at MFA and use to feed horses. Most of year it represents at most 10% of diet although during coldest part of winter I feed as soaked oats where it can approximate 25% of diet for at least short periods of time. The higher percentage is used as that is the route I provide water thoughout the day. You cannot slack on supplying grit.

Okay, gotcha, do you still offer the oats in the other seasons? And how do you feed it to them...mix in with feed or free choice?

Also, off subject, I think my nesting boxes might be too small for my chickens (12x12), should I get them some bigger and if I change them out will it effect them???

I feed out some oats now as a small percentage of feed mix I make up each morning. It mixed in by hand. Hens in continuous lay get less. My formulation is dominated by intact grains. Laying hens get free choice every thing while others get restricted ration.

My nest boxes similar and adequate for American Dominque hens. That size is a little tight when hen expected to hatch eggs but great for simply to lay eggs into it.

Rolla has your closest MFA agri services store. Any place selling feed for horses will also do. Buy it in 50 lb bags and start experimenting with soaking the oats for a few days. Report observations of fermentation process. Feed only in small amounts at first.

Back
Top Bottom