Oats???

TallJ

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
It was suggested by the lady that I got my guineas from that I give them and my chicks some quick cooking oats in the evening to train them to come to me/roost. Right now they are nearly 5 weeks old. I had given them plain oats from the packets of instant oatmeal I had on hand, but I have run out. Since I haven't been giving them these nightly recently they all seem a bit more skittish when I come out. (They are in a brooder in the garage till the fence is done.Hopefully soon!)

I have a big container of oats that say 'cook 5 min'. Is it ok to give these to the chicks and guineas???

Yes its quite fine oats have between 14-16% protein and is healthy regularly or not. They do sell bags of oat or any other grain at most local feed stores, that would be a lot cheaper than grocery store oats maybe 7-12 bucks depending on how much say 25lb-50lb bag respectfuly.

No for training purposes any treat will do. Grains or meal worms or just a food they like. They will eat any form of oats or other grains you can find. Whole, cracked, milled, rolled, hulled etc...

I've been training & treating my chicks/chickens with freeze dried mealworms so starting raising mealworms. I needed rolled oats for the beetles, thought I'd toss some to the chickens to see how they like it. They LOVE it better than the mealworms! The new chicks I got PREFER the oats to mealworms. Natural Food Store less expensive than the grocery since I can buy bulk, the feed stores 50# is more than I need, concerned about going bad. Glad I checked to see if it was ok for them to eat this before I continue as a treat. From what I've read, feeding "dry" is ok although cooked would give variety?

Back
Top Bottom