Obsessively Brooding Hen

With broodies you have to be as persistent as they are if you want to break them. Keep taking them off the next and some people I think have read put them in wire cages temporarily so resting isn't quite as nice as on a bed of shavings.

We got a broody right now and finally decided to let her have a go at it. They do not eat or drink like regular birds just run out, do their business and eat/drink real quick and then it's back to work. By the end of 21 days they look like they've been laying on death's door for quite a while. Expect to see a skinner paler bird
smile.png

Best of luck whatever you choose!

Quote:
This is how we break any broody hens, too.

It usually only takes a couple days to snap out of the broody mood using the wire bottomed cage but we did have one stubborn Silky that took almost a week.
th.gif

Dawn

I had one of those and finally gave in and let her sit. She is now sitting on 9 eggs, 6 of which are breeds I really want. If you don't want chicks right now, hatch some anyway and sell them!

I was going to cull this chicken as she is not a particularly good layer and I don't like the breed, but now I'm rethinking things and will probably let her become the resident broody!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom