Obsessively broody hen any ideas

So I have a very broody hen who is currently on her 4th night in broody jail due to me trying to let her out today and she went straight back to the nest this is roughly the 8th times she’s gone broody since late May (so about every couple weeks) usually 3 nights in jail works for a while before she decides to go broody again although not every time
I am so done with dealing with this hen going broody does anyone have any ideas on how to encourage her to stop going broody
We had the same issue. Nothing worked until I order 2 fertilized eggs and let her hatch them out. She was a great mother and hasn’t gone broody since. That was about 18 months ago. Of course, both chicks turned out to be roosters, but had no problem rehoming them.

Had a broody hen and she was even very annoying for the other hens. So I put the broody one in a rabbit cage. Only a sitting stick and the plastic floor. During he day she may walk in the office inside the house Took 5 days then we put het back to the other hens. It was all over. Only she did not lay eggs for about 4 weeks. The butt must be cooled.

I wish we don’t have a rooster and we already have more birds then our city allows so i worry about adding more
You could always let her hatch them and then sell them or give them away at 6-8wks old.
This way you can let her go thru the mothering process. I’ve heard of broodys just like this, they won’t quit until they can actually hatch out.

How is it going with your broody girl?
— Update Please 😉🐥❤️
(I just noticed that this thread is from Sept 24th)! ⏰
Update:
Sorry it’s been so long I finally gave up after over a week (probably closer to 2) in broody jail and she sat on the nest for another week or two after that (maybe more I can’t remember) don’t really know what finally broke her maybe the cold weather or the fact that she and the rest of my flock started molting either way she stopped being broody a few weeks ago and haven’t seen her in the nest since
Finally now let’s just hope we can go tell spring before she goes broody again lol 😂

Update:
Sorry it’s been so long I finally gave up after over a week (probably closer to 2) in broody jail and she sat on the nest for another week or two after that (maybe more I can’t remember) don’t really know what finally broke her maybe the cold weather or the fact that she and the rest of my flock started molting either way she stopped being broody a few weeks ago and haven’t seen her in the nest since
Finally now let’s just hope we can go tell spring before she goes broody again lol 😂
Glad to hear she's given up for now, she will have a healthier winter if she's eating and moving around more regularly ♥️ broodies can be so persistent!

Back
Top Bottom