OCD chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by myohmiya, Mar 8, 2013.

1. myohmiya

myohmiya Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    I've got a little speckled sussex chick (about 4 days old) who is acting quite obsessive. I rarely see her sleep, she eats and drinks sparingly, but pecks obsessively at feathers that stick out. She has a black one on her wing that she is absolutely obsessed with, and I had to separate her from my timid RIR because she obsessively picked at her lighter feathers coming in, same with the australorps white wing feather. I do have a red light in the brooder, all of the others are perfectly content. She has a lot of room, I'm wondering if the stress of seperation is causing this (I had her alone for a while but her peeping because ear piercing so I put a strong willed buddy in there. Checked for mites and lice and pasty butt, nothing, very active, she seems perfectly fine besides her picking obsession, Should I figure out a way to make it darker in the brooder? I think I'm going to dye their feathers and see if that helps but any experience in this would be appreciated! I don't want the little nut job to peck herself raw.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    just don't dye them red.

3. myohmiya

myohmiya Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    I did have the sense to do blue, luckily! In case anyone else has this problem in the future, I think it is partially due to stress, I put him back with the others and he's not doing it as much, was up picking at his black feather til about 1 am and then totally passed out and it's a bit less now. The blue didn't take to the RIR feather's too well, but I think the vinegar in the dye mixture is making those feathers not as interesting :). If I had some safe essential oils I think that might be helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by