Ocellated Turkeys

Pics

ocdman

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 12, 2013
Hi, new to this site, but I noticed that in the past people have inquired about them. I've raised them for about 6 years now, so if anyone has any questions maybe I could help.

ocdman (ocd stands for ocellated as well as other things)

Last edited:
THese are the MOST gorgeous birds Ihave ever seen. I have seen the bright peacock blues and greens. THen Ihave seen a darker alsmost forest green. DO you have picutres you can post??

Last edited by a moderator:
Ocellated turkeys are absolutely beautiful! I'm interested in uncommon turkey breeds (particularly Auburns), but I don't know much about Ocellated turkeys. Are they good meat birds, or are they simply ornamental? If you raise them, do you ever sell eggs or poults? What are some of the pros and cons of this breed? Thanks in advance for any information!

BTW, if you can post pics, I'm sure I am just one of many people who would love to see them!

Ocellated turkeys are absolutely beautiful! I'm interested in uncommon turkey breeds (particularly Auburns), but I don't know much about Ocellated turkeys. Are they good meat birds, or are they simply ornamental? If you raise them, do you ever sell eggs or poults? What are some of the pros and cons of this breed? Thanks in advance for any information!

BTW, if you can post pics, I'm sure I am just one of many people who would love to see them!

NIce to meet someone who also has auburns. I have toms but no hens so my effort to breed them is stalled. I guess we like the unusual turkeys!!

I actually don't have auburns yet, just on the waiting list for next year's poults.
fl.gif
From all the research I've done, they seem like just the kind of turkeys I want. It's a tragedy that a breed that was once so popular is now so rare.

Depending on how the next year or so goes, I'll be in touch with you. Maybe we can help each other out with getting a few more breeding programs going for this wonderful bird.

To answer your questions, yes the ocellated turkey would probably be very good eating if you don't mind paying 1500.00 for your Thanks Giving dinner. I don't sell eggs or poults, they are so fragile when young that I don't offer them for sale till they are about a year old and fully vaccinated. I did mention to someone once that if I did sell eggs I'd have to have at least 200.00 per egg, but I don't sell eggs now, and I didn't then. I'll try and get time to post some pictures, they truly are beautiful birds and the poults are real sweet and good natured, but very hard to raise.

I talked to someone who raises them here in Texas, and he said about the same thing. I agree that would be an expensive dinner, and I'm guessing it wouldn't taste significantly different than any other pasture raised turkey, but I was curious.
smile.png
Love the pic - thanks for posting it!

Back
Top Bottom