Och aye! This'll put feathers on their chests!

Too sunny? Huh? What's that...
lol.png

I gave my chickens some nice warm oatmeal with sliced bananas to warm their bellies yesterday morning. Later in the day I checked on them again and wanted to give them fresh, unfrozen water, and found my silkie rooster must have walked through the bowl of oatmeal. He had it all over his feathered feet....frozen solid.
barnie.gif

I had to bring him in, soak his feet in warm water to unfreeze the oatmeal and wash his feet with soapy water. Then of course I had to blow dry his feet before I could let him back out.
duc.gif

This morning instead of oatmeal we made them scrambled eggs.
thumbsup.gif

YIKES! I'll have to check my gangs feet - only they just seem to gobble it down so... today I mixed bacon grease in it and I thought they'd swoon with delight.

Yeah, it helps if they eat it, right Jan! I hate to laugh, it's been so cold, but I have this stickyfoot mental image...sorry but there it is. Maybe if I had hens with feathered feet I'd feel different, or maybe the cold has given me brain freeze.

Hens are out today, warily, temp at -12 but air is calm so allowing them some flexability with our temps moderating, finally. Ground suet is a good alternative, though it makes droppings a wee bit greasy. But I'm with you on porridge for the tummy on a cold day, since they don't seem to like cocoa! I have a little bacon fat, too, I stuck some multigrain bread heels in it to bring down to the coop tonight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom