Octagon Eco 20 Questions, help please. =)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Jan 29, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Just got everything up and running a few hours ago so I know things are still stabilizing but have a few questions already...

1. Added a new thermometer and it's reading 98.7*, but the thermometer it comes with says 101*.... ? Which one is right or are they both wrong?

2. I am currently calibrating my hygrometer... It's about 2 hours into the 8 hour wait and it's up over 80... will it stabilize as well come the 8 hour mark, or is it just REALLY off? [​IMG]

Thank you anyone who can help! [​IMG]

2. heksa

heksa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    I just set up my Brinsea Octo 20 yesterday and have some discrepancy in readings as well.
    The thermometer it came with read a little lower (98) then another that I put in there (99 or closer to a 100). I have turned the knob to rise the temps but they just don't. So I hope whatever I have will work.

As for hygrometer - I did the calibration last night and the reading after two hours has not changed much by morning. One was reading 80 and the other 62. I could not adjust them for 75 so I'm adding 16 to the one that read 62.

3. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

In the brinseas trust the glass thermometer.. If you look at my test I'm running I have 4 thermometers currently in mine.. Each are reading something different.

4. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:I agree, trust the glass. At least I did, my digital went insane a few times, I really only used it for humidity.

5. thefamilyflock

thefamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    East Granby CT
    Quote:I just did the calibration on my hygrometer. At 2 hours it was at 81% and at 12 hours it was at 78%. I am going to split the difference and correct by 4%. My glass thermometer read the same as my digital. Hopefully a few others will add their experiences.

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The glass one is reading between 100-101, and the digital between 98.4-99.4... I don't know which one to trust!

My hygrometer test read 80% for a few hours then dropped to 75% for a good while then when I woke up inn the morning it was at 80%, so should I split the difference also?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by