odd acting polish chicken

dmwehne

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
my polish hen has been acting weird for the last couple of days . She keeps walking in a circle . Yesterday evening she was laying in the pen and wouldnt walk up the bridge to go to the roost box at night .
I threw out some cracked corn and wont eat it

seems to be walking fine ... acts confused . I know that the breed has the hair in the face issue . she honestly acts like grandmother with dementia

She's just lying around -wont go with the rest of the flock out to free range in the yard. we inspected her last night -didnt see anything odd . Acting like shes very tired . Have a gut feeling that she's going to leave us . We got her from a local backyard farmed - not sure how old she is . She also doesnt lay eggs very often

my polish hen has been acting weird for the last couple of days . She keeps walking in a circle . Yesterday evening she was laying in the pen and wouldnt walk up the bridge to go to the roost box at night .
I threw out some cracked corn and wont eat it

Chickens that walk in circles, fall forward and backward flapping wings, head hanging backwards or forwards over the body can be symptoms of a vitamin E deficiency. Supplementing water with poultry vitamins containing a good amount of vitamins A,D, E , and and a vitamin E capsule each day for 5 days can cure the problem if there is no brain damage. A vitamin A,D, E injectible works very quickly too. Rancid feed, insufficient formulation of feed, insufficient balance of nutrients, too much cod liver oil, rancid fats can cause this problem known as Encephalomalacia (crazy chick disease). Contrary to the belief that only chicks get it, older fowl can be affected too, though it is less likely.

Back
Top Bottom