ODD BALL in Araucana purchase

math ace

Crowing
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I purchased 8 supposedly Araucanas from an individual who ordered them from a hatchery. They are 4 weeks old and most look very very similiar. One chick is an ODD BALL. The seven other chicks are rust and black patterned. The ODD BALL is Black and White sorta striped. She has a different posture than the others too. COULD SHE be an Araucana - or did somebody throw a wild card into the mix?

The pictures below show her in the center. She is surrounded by - White Leghorns, BCM or Blue Marans, and her fellow rust / black Araucanas. Please, look and tell me what you think - - -

45875_chicks_004.jpg

45875_chicks_005.jpg

What Jean said. Hatcheries don't have true araucana..they are easter eggers, which come in any size, shape and color and can lay any color eggs due to how they are crossed with other breeds.

Quote:
I agree when my chicks were little the roosters always had the bigger legs and were a little larger than the hens.

I agree too, that it is probably a cockerel, but that is based on the color for me.

Last edited:
I think it's an easter egger cockerel too.

My local feedstore sells their EEs as araucanas also because that's what some of the hatcheries call them - true araucanas don't have tails.

Easter eggers do come in many colors - My first two batches from my feedstore were mostly browns/reds (see my BYC page "as they grow" for pics). I recently puchased 25 EE from MPC and purposely kept the more unusual colors (at least unusual to my flock) for myself so that I could have more variety in my flock. I have some white/brown ones, a blue/brown, a grey one, and even a splash EE now. Even though EE females do come in whites/blacks, I think yours is a roo based on his color pattern. From what I can tell in the pic, the rest of the EEs look like pullets.

pips&peeps :

Quote:
I agree when my chicks were little the roosters always had the bigger legs and were a little larger than the hens.

I agree too, that it is probably a cockerel, but that is based on the color for me.​

That's what I was thinking, the coloring looks roostery, and the size.
woot.gif
I'm getting good at this game!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom