Odd behavior and Styro foam

Jon J

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008

Hi. My lil black and gold chicken has been acting strange lately, Sitting on her nest all day & night unless I remove her from the nest box. She usually lays one small egg per day but have not seen a egg in at least a week. She looks healthy & walks around fine when I remove her. This hasnt occurred before & thought it was kinda strange.

Also, I had left a styro foam cooler in the yard and my grown chickens & chicks were pecking on it, eating it I guess. Why? I removed it. A few months ago, my adult hens ate alot of styro foam. I removed that one to and it didn't to hurt them any but was wondering if anyone had any idea why they would want to eat styro foam? Thanks.

Don't quote me on this, but Im assuming she's broody. One of my production hens (who is apparently a throwback to days gone by) has also decided to become broody. She tried to eat my face tonight.
hmm.png

she is broody, just keep removing her and it will pass.

Also, chickens will eat Styrofoam and may die from it! They should not be tempted! (lol) I would definitely remove it from the area so it will not be a distraction.

Thanks. I figured the styro foam wasn't good for them. The last piece was under a wood rack that I missed picking up. I recognized the bonk bonk noise they were making pecking on the foam! The hen is back on her nest again lol. If she's happy sitting there all day, then I'm happy too.

I have learned the chickens are funny of what they will eat and what they won't. My birds do not like hard vegetables or fruits, but they will eat balloons (from bday parties). I try to keep everything that they shouldn't eat out of their reach just in case they get curious!

Back
Top Bottom