Odd behavior from rooster

ChicKittyHouse

Chirping
Jun 22, 2019
I was gathering eggs yesterday when my rooster came into the coop. He saw the basket of eggs and just started giving me the chicken version of a scolding! He climbed into the nest box, got on the nest and just kept on scolding me. I've never had a rooster do that before. I " explained" to him that we couldn't hatch all his babies. Could he be able to understand the connection between eggs and chicks? He is a Welsummer and the sweetest roo I've ever had.

Lol.

Last time I cleaned my coop and put in fresh straw, I caught my rooster mansplaining nest boxes to my hens. He hopped in and kept turning around and talking about it in the voice he uses when showing them treats I just gave them.

"Honey, look at this one! Newly-remodeled and spotless clean. What do you think?"

I am glad to read that someone else takes time to "explain" things to their poultry. I have been in recent conversations with my American Buff geese, whose unfertilized eggs will never hatch, no matter how much Gussie and Golly protest and hiss at me.

I "explain" things to my cats too, but I swear they roll their eyes at me when I'm not looking! Having chickens has been an awesome experience. I have friends who just can't imagine how I can be so crazy about chickens. It's okay, they just don't know what they're missing!

I think @JaeG pretty much hit the nail on the head! He's likely 'guarding' what he thinks is property of his flock/hens. He sees you taking the eggs and is basically saying 'back off my ladies stuff!'. You have a good roo 😁.

I certainly wasn't looking for a roo. He was supposed to have been a EE pullet! But I had this huge gawky rooster instead. His name is JarJar Binks, and he really is a good rooster. I got lucky because the one I had became mean and I wasn't going to deal with that. He got rehomed and JarJar took over.

Back
Top Bottom