Odd behavior, pale small comb.

Sorry to hear about your girl's troubles. This may not be it since you say it's been going on around 2 months, but since she's not laying eggs I'll share my thought if it helps. I wonder if it's something internal, possibly egg related. Whether she's laying internally or not I don't know.
I had one hen suddenly act like yours- looked normal but pale/shrunk comb, standing in the corner away from the others eating little. Went on for a few days. Then she was back to normal. Fast forward a few weeks and she's "sick" again. Turns out when she's feeling sick it was because she's laying very soft (like water balloon soft) eggs. She's on organic layer feed, has access to a whole bucket of egg shells/oyster shells. But for some reason this still happened and the shell membrane was staying stuck inside her. (not visible at her bum hole though). Once she got it out she was perky again but has rarely been laying eggs.
Have you seen any splats in the coop of a wet egg being laid? Mine was laying wet eggs at night. Hope she can bounce back!

Sorry to hear about your girl's troubles. This may not be it since you say it's been going on around 2 months, but since she's not laying eggs I'll share my thought if it helps. I wonder if it's something internal, possibly egg related. Whether she's laying internally or not I don't know.
I had one hen suddenly act like yours- looked normal but pale/shrunk comb, standing in the corner away from the others eating little. Went on for a few days. Then she was back to normal. Fast forward a few weeks and she's "sick" again. Turns out when she's feeling sick it was because she's laying very soft (like water balloon soft) eggs. She's on organic layer feed, has access to a whole bucket of egg shells/oyster shells. But for some reason this still happened and the shell membrane was staying stuck inside her. (not visible at her bum hole though). Once she got it out she was perky again but has rarely been laying eggs.
Have you seen any splats in the coop of a wet egg being laid? Mine was laying wet eggs at night. Hope she can bounce back!
Thanks so much! Im open to literally anything right now, as i have no idea whats going on at this point..

So i know she laid a water balloon like egg, (many, actually.) but this was more then a month ago. If this is the case, how would i go about treating it?

Thank you again!

Ah, if she's doing lots of water balloon eggs that may be the issue like it was for mine. Mine started a couple months ago as well. Sadly I have yet to figure out how to treat it, I tried liquid calcium, a little squirt of water in her bum to get it out, etc. and nothing. Poor thing will be miserable for a day and then when I check the next morning she's normal! Thankfully mine has been better more often now but still no normal eggs from her (just a yolk splat overnight every couple weeks). I'm even starting to wonder if there is something new being put in the feed as nothing else has changed in my situation... I wonder if it would be worth trying new food for yours? Wish I could offer a fix! Hopefully she can work it out herself if it's an egg issue. Best of luck.

I'm sorry she's getting worse.
Take me through her symptoms again - what she's doing now and what treatment(s) you have given.

Is she staying hydrated? Is she able to walk and eat?
Shes unbalanced, extremely boney, face sunk in (so skinny, aswell.) you can feel her keel and the bones alongside her breast, and by her wings, very well.

Her face is all pale, she just sits there. Its really sad, its like all the will to live has been sucked out of her, and she just sits there. Not a peep. She also makes weird noises whenever she breathes, so i’ll upload that tomorrow.
We’ve just decided to full time take her in the house until she (if she) improves. She can obviously come outside, but im just not going to leave her out there anymore. Her feathers are a total reck, to. I don’t think shes grooming, if she is, very little.

Treatment: Not much. Just foods i thought could help her, give her energy and fatten her up a bit. Rooster booster in her water and mash, and some powder to put on her for lice/mites and whatnot. (i’ll get the brand tomorrow, its 1:07 AM here.)

I thought so, i’ll keep a closer eye on that. She just drank some water just now.

Yes, she can, she just is choosing to not move that much. She actually has a pretty good appetite, atleast when it comes to mash & blueberries.

Also, i did a extreme check, (flashlight in a dark room, UV light, everything) to look for mites/lice and saw nothing whatsoever. Looked over her entire body.

From what i saw, i didn’t see any (or extremely little, not noticeable anyway.)
nits. It was so minor, it looked recent (when i had seen the mites) thats what makes me think something else is going on. It was such a small “infestation” and i see nothing now.

Last edited:
Ah, if she's doing lots of water balloon eggs that may be the issue like it was for mine. Mine started a couple months ago as well. Sadly I have yet to figure out how to treat it, I tried liquid calcium, a little squirt of water in her bum to get it out, etc. and nothing. Poor thing will be miserable for a day and then when I check the next morning she's normal! Thankfully mine has been better more often now but still no normal eggs from her (just a yolk splat overnight every couple weeks). I'm even starting to wonder if there is something new being put in the feed as nothing else has changed in my situation... I wonder if it would be worth trying new food for yours? Wish I could offer a fix! Hopefully she can work it out herself if it's an egg issue. Best of luck.
Much appreciated! At least now i have some knowledge on what it could be. I’ll do some research on it, thanks!

aw, breathing issue would be separate form the soft egg issue I think, so she may have a few things going on. Question- does she have a large/saggy bum? like if you feel behind her keel and below her vent? I wonder if she could be internally laying as well. Not experienced with that, just thinking out loud
:)

Back
Top Bottom