Odd behavior/Poop

Heatherella

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have a 5 year old EE hen that has been acting off for the last few days. I thought maybe she was just broody because she’s been staying right in the nesting boxes. I took her out of the nesting box tonight and she acted hesitant to move but then I threw some meal worms out and she ran outside and was eating away like normal. Then, she did this huge, weird poop. It almost looks like undigested food. I’ve never seen a chicken poop that much. Could she just be very broody and isn’t moving around and pooping as regularly? Sorry. This is weird. I know she’s old and I don’t want to extend her life if she’s suffering.

Has she been laying eggs recently? I have a 7 year old hen who still lays, and goes broody often. Pictures of droppings might help. Does she get granite grit offered in a separate container from her feed?

Hi everyone,

I have a 5 year old EE hen that has been acting off for the last few days. I thought maybe she was just broody because she’s been staying right in the nesting boxes. I took her out of the nesting box tonight and she acted hesitant to move but then I threw some meal worms out and she ran outside and was eating away like normal. Then, she did this huge, weird poop. It almost looks like undigested food. I’ve never seen a chicken poop that much. Could she just be very broody and isn’t moving around and pooping as regularly? Sorry. This is weird. I know she’s old and I don’t want to extend her life if she’s suffering.
The huge poop thing does make me think she might be broody. What makes you think she isn't?

Has she been laying eggs recently? I have a 7 year old hen who still lays, and goes broody often. Pictures of droppings might help. Does she get granite grit offered in a separate container from her feed?

It’s been a few weeks since she’s laid an egg. I know because we only have 6 elderly hens left in that coop. I have figured out who lays what color egg. She is sitting on other hen’s eggs. She doesn’t get granite grit...I didn’t know that existed. They have a sandy/gravel like run and they free range at least a few times a week. I can post a pic tomorrow!

The huge poop thing does make me think she might be broody. What makes you think she isn't?

I am worried because I have had broody hens before but I’ve never seen them like this, and she hasn’t laid an egg in a few weeks. She is old, and I’ve recently lost a hen to egg yolk peritonitis. I’m not seeing the yellowish diarrhea in this hen that I did in my last one. I’ve never had a hen this broody! It’s concerning. She doesn’t want to leave the box. I have to pick her up out of the nesting box every day to interest her in eating! I have seen her in the box and not laying on an egg. That is also concerning. I thought I was an experienced chicken keeper, but I learn new things every day!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom