Odd behavior. Seizures? Something else?

hugitnotnugget

Songster
6 Years
Feb 14, 2016
Upstate NY
Background info

So I got this Silkie rooster summer of 2020 from a farm who wanted to get rid of him because he was attacking the other hens and people. He’s almost 2 years old. He is kinda an ass... we have another rooster that the hens would run to when the silkie wasn’t treating them right. He finally is nice to tour hens!! But he attacks us almost every chance he gets. He doesn’t hurt at all an it is quite funny but he is pretty strange. Anyway....

The troubling behavior

for about a month now we have seen 4 times that he seems to lose control of his body. His head pins to his back and he falls back on his butt. He sometimes makes a distress sound during this. When he’s scared he will let me cuddle him until he feels brave again and starts being an ass again. But he lets me hold him when it happens and after so I know he’s scared. I’m not sure what it is or what causes it. When you hold him he kinda vibrates...? Almost like he’s shivering but he does it when he’s not cold. Right now the temperature here is between 20-30. He acts fine otherwise. He doesn’t eat or drink much really but he hasn’t sense we got him.

Thank you for any advice or knowledge you have!

Attachments

• DC1E4CBF-F390-4B6D-9E10-A0DC5331F58F.jpeg
    DC1E4CBF-F390-4B6D-9E10-A0DC5331F58F.jpeg
    862.9 KB · Views: 11
  • C895E225-B9C0-4F7B-B8F2-9BD50FC1426D.jpeg
    C895E225-B9C0-4F7B-B8F2-9BD50FC1426D.jpeg
    934.8 KB · Views: 11
Background info

So I got this Silkie rooster summer of 2020 from a farm who wanted to get rid of him because he was attacking the other hens and people. He’s almost 2 years old. He is kinda an ass... we have another rooster that the hens would run to when the silkie wasn’t treating them right. He finally is nice to tour hens!! But he attacks us almost every chance he gets. He doesn’t hurt at all an it is quite funny but he is pretty strange. Anyway....

The troubling behavior

for about a month now we have seen 4 times that he seems to lose control of his body. His head pins to his back and he falls back on his butt. He sometimes makes a distress sound during this. When he’s scared he will let me cuddle him until he feels brave again and starts being an ass again. But he lets me hold him when it happens and after so I know he’s scared. I’m not sure what it is or what causes it. When you hold him he kinda vibrates...? Almost like he’s shivering but he does it when he’s not cold. Right now the temperature here is between 20-30. He acts fine otherwise. He doesn’t eat or drink much really but he hasn’t sense we got him.

Thank you for any advice or knowledge you have!
Does he have a vaulted skull? I know some silkie breeds have them and can have neurological issues from it, especially if they get pecked/hit on the head.

Does he have a vaulted skull? I know some silkie breeds have them and can have neurological issues from it, especially if they get pecked/hit on the head.
I’m not really sure. 🤔 he has a massive poof on his head. Maybe that’s covering it? I haven’t heard of that before. I’ll try to check but I don’t want to hurt him.

Back
Top Bottom