Odd behavior ~ thinking sick

Mrs.Megan

Songster
Sep 10, 2018
Northern Virginia
I have a 8 month old light Brahma pullet who has yet to lay an egg. I thought yesterday she was getting ready to lay an egg under an evergreen tree but now I wonder if she was showing first signs of illness. She stayed there for a few hours but when it started to get dark, she did go to roost last night without ever producing an egg.
Now this am she is holding her body fluffed up with her neck pulled in. She is going from periods of just standing in that stance, to moving around the yard pecking at the ground.
She’s on all flock feeder with access to oyster shell. I put a bit of acv to their water.
I’ve checked her feet and they seem fine. I don’t know how to look at her crop but feeling from the outside, seems empty. I haven’t checked her vent but I will if necessary...
I am pretty sure this is her poop from this am
37992BBD-C01F-4A58-856B-5924918F5998.jpeg

This is her sick stance
5E21DDA0-A1D6-4DC7-9432-4ADD06D916DA.jpeg

Then this was moments later acting normally
59C31B59-53B8-49A8-BD16-40810BA27410.jpeg

So I’m hoping you all can point me in the direction of how to figure out what’s wrong and then the treatment. Also if it could be contagious to the other 3 chickens she spends time with.
Thanks!

If showing signs of illness it’s probab best to separate till you did the cause. When did you check her crop that it felt empty. Have you felt around to see if she’s egg bound? Is she eating and drinking?

If showing signs of illness it’s probab best to separate till you did the cause. When did you check her crop that it felt empty. Have you felt around to see if she’s egg bound? Is she eating and drinking?
It felt empty this am. I have not observed her eating or drinking.
I need help understanding how to check for egg binding... could she become egg bound on her first egg?

I’ve heard of being egg bound first egg. I have never experienced egg bound thankfully. I think you check to feel a hard spot near her vent our feel in her vent with a glove a feel for any eggs parts. @Eggcessive any suggestions. This just a thought. If you get her separated try to get some food and water in her. Boiled or scrambled egg is very tempting if not she’s not interested with the feed

Insert a finger into her vent up to 2 inches or the first knuckle to feel for a stuck egg. Wear a disposable glove if you have one, and normal is feeling just soft tissue. The tail usually is down with egg binding.

Feel some of the other’s crops for comparison. The crop should be empty in early morning, then gradually fill up all day until bedtime. I would get her eating and drinking. Most chickens love cooked egg, canned tuna, or bits of cooked meat. Sometimes I mix chicken feed with a lot of water, a little egg and plain yogurt into a thin paste to get them to eat. Look her over for mites and lice, especially under her vent and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Her stance, plus the fact she is pooping (if that's certainly her poop) kinda goes against egg binding... Crop function definitely needs to be monitored. Make sure she is drinking, and then eating. I would give her some poultry vits anyway. Also I would check for lice n mites. Are the rest of the flock acting normal?
She's beautiful.

There is a lot of fibrous plant matter in that dropping. She may have eaten a lot of grass or plant matter and is having difficulty passing it. Do they have access to grit free choice all the time? They need grit in order to be able to digest anything other than regular pellets or crumbles. Poultry grit is crushed granite, and is available usually where ever feed is sold. Since she's still pooping she's not impacted, but I would still give her some olive or coconut oil to help move things. Coconut oil is easier as you can give it in solid pieces rather than trying to syringe it. She may eat it willingly, often they like it. Also make sure she is drinking well, so she stays hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom