Odd behavior

mpmb1227

Chirping
Jan 28, 2015
Stanwood, Washington
I have a hen who was hatched in early June of this year. Recently she was showing signs of illness and I promptly took action to isolate her and with my knowledge of natural remedies, I gave her feed and put some crushed raw garlic in some water for her. After about four days she seemed fine, although she is quite skinny. She is living with the rest of the flock again, but still is acting a bit strange. They have sufficient amounts of food and water, and I am occasionally adding garlic to their food and water (one or two "treatments" per week). She is active, eats and drinks, but still feels skinny and I will catch her napping all puffed up in the middle of the yard sometimes. I also have to physically put her on the roost at night or else she will just sleep on the floor of the coop. None of the other hens are acting strange either. Her father is a banty and her mother is a standard size RIR. I suspect her puffiness and sleeping on the floor where there straw bedding is because of the cold snap we are having here in Western Washington, it's been no higher than about 30 degrees for weeks, and she's so tiny because of her banty genetics. I would appreciate some advice, but as a forewarning, I will not take her to see a vet nor will I spend a bunch of money. I love my birds but they are only livestock, not considered pets at my household.

Howdy chickens really

Just wanted to point out, in case of any confusion. Those were my chickens’ pictures, not the OP’s and I was simply showing them as the OP mentioned that her chicken was laying in the sunshine with her eyes closed and they were for comparison and to show that it was normal.

Yep, touch wood, no health issues in my flock at the moment
big_smile.png
Touch'e........lol

Yeah, those Birds were fine.....lol...................
lau.gif

Cheers!

I have a hen who was hatched in early June of this year. Recently she was showing signs of illness and I promptly took action to isolate her and with my knowledge of natural remedies, I gave her feed and put some crushed raw garlic in some water for her. After about four days she seemed fine, although she is quite skinny. She is living with the rest of the flock again, but still is acting a bit strange. They have sufficient amounts of food and water, and I am occasionally adding garlic to their food and water (one or two "treatments" per week). She is active, eats and drinks, but still feels skinny and I will catch her napping all puffed up in the middle of the yard sometimes. I also have to physically put her on the roost at night or else she will just sleep on the floor of the coop. None of the other hens are acting strange either. Her father is a banty and her mother is a standard size RIR. I suspect her puffiness and sleeping on the floor where there straw bedding is because of the cold snap we are having here in Western Washington, it's been no higher than about 30 degrees for weeks, and she's so tiny because of her banty genetics. I would appreciate some advice, but as a forewarning, I will not take her to see a vet nor will I spend a bunch of money. I love my birds but they are only livestock, not considered pets at my household.
I totally agree they are Chickens.....

Anyways........What do you feed the birds.......I mean daily and treats included...........?

Cut out the garlic.......Not needed or good....

Cheers!

They get a steady diet of mixed flock pellets, I am about to switch them back to layer pellets. I have some that are a few years and some that are barely old enough to lay, which is why I have been using mixed flock. Not to argue but I've spoken personally with herbalists and researched the use of garlic, they've recommended occasional use due to the antibiotic properties it contains when freshly crushed. I only use it for about 2 or 3 weeks once a year in the winter, about how often I have a concern for one of them. They don't get a lot of treats but I've been throwin apples to them which I picked from an organic farm up the street. They free range for most of the day at least 3 or 4 days a week as well, so they forage what they can find this time of year. One other thing, she's usually lettig her wings droop over her thighs and her tail is more or less straight out behind her rathee than perked up.

They get a steady diet of mixed flock pellets, I am about to switch them back to layer pellets. I have some that are a few years and some that are barely old enough to lay, which is why I have been using mixed flock. Not to argue but I've spoken personally with herbalists and researched the use of garlic, they've recommended occasional use due to the antibiotic properties it contains when freshly crushed. I only use it for about 2 or 3 weeks once a year in the winter, about how often I have a concern for one of them. They don't get a lot of treats but I've been throwin apples to them which I picked from an organic farm up the street. They free range for most of the day at least 3 or 4 days a week as well, so they forage what they can find this time of year. One other thing, she's usually lettig her wings droop over her thighs and her tail is more or less straight out behind her rathee than perked up.
Okay ........I tried to help.....Hopefully other pipe in soon...

Good luck.

Cheers!

Just out of curiosity, what have you heard about garlic for chickens? I feel pretty confident in what I've been told but it's important to hear what others have to say about it. Thansks, by the way!

Howdy mpmb1227

First up, I am definitely not an expert on what ails chickens but I am trying to educate myself and learning a little each day.

Has she started laying yet?

I ask because some of her symptoms sound like a laying issue, may be egg yolk peritonitis? I lost a hen to EYP and she had similar symptoms. She would be unwell so antibiotics were given which would treat the infection; she would be OK for a while but then we would go through it again. Her laying plumbing was all messed up.

http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

Ive heard too much garlic is bad.Is she on the top of the pecking order?She could be getting bullied from the food dish and not getting enough nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom