Odd behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tman4775, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Tman4775

Tman4775 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2014
    Just a little worried about one of my hens, yesterday I went to feed, water and collect the eggs, one hen was laying in the nesting box, so I figured that she was laying her egg, I went out about 30-45 minutes later and she was still there so I let her be. I had my daughter go out this morning to collect and that hen was still there. They have been laying since about August last year so it's not a first egg. My thought is that is she trying to hatch the eggs? No roosters are allowed so the eggs aren't fertile. Any ideas about this?

Thanks,

Tom

2. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    If she is broody, it doesn't matter if you have a rooster or not ,or whether there are even any eggs there. What happens if you take her out?

3. Tman4775

Jul 16, 2014
    She was there this afternoon, I shushed her out but she just looked at me. The same thing happened when my daughter shushed her this morning. Could she be sick?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    'Shushed her out'?
    Did you actually remove her from the nest?

Sounds like she might be broody.

Take her out of the nest and see what she does.
    She might squawk, growl, hiss....and even peck or bite, so long sleeves and gloves might be a good idea.
    She may flatten down on the ground and refuse to walk, get her up and moving.
    Make sure she eats and drinks even if you have to dip her beak in the waterer a couple times.

Read up on broody hens.
    advanced search>titles only> broody

5. Tman4775

Jul 16, 2014
    This morning she was in the chicken run area, so maybe it just a thing, I don't know.

Thanks for your response and I'll keep a close eye on her.

Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by