Odd Bird golden laced Polish have birth defect?

Keylime

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Northwest Arkansas
This is my first experience with Polish and also straight run. Our only Polish chick in a batch of eight chicks in the brooder (now 2.5 weeks) has been acting weird from the start (I got it when it was one day old). First it would sit down on its butt and roll over onto its back, and then, maybe to save face, it would stay there with its feet in the air for awhile like the classic cartoon depiction of a dead bird. Then it started crawling around on folded back legs and using its wings like front legs (like a bat) even though it could walk normally if startled. Now it’s always walking normally, but for the past couple of days, it’s been honking like a goose (the other breeds we have peep contentedly, but Polish now quacks). On top of that, it sleeps with one wing twisted up vertically like it’s broken. Eating, pooping and energy level are all fine. Is there something wrong with it? Does this honking mean it’s a male? Or is this goofball behavior typical to the breed?

Sounds like something is wrong with it, though I have no clue what it would be. Does it have a vaulted or normal skull? You shouldn't ever raise a single polish in a flock of normal birds, it will attract pecking in the crest because polish look different and often act differently.

Everything about the way it looks is normal...the honking is the most disconcerting thing to me right now. Wondering if it wounded its throat.

Sounds like something is wrong with it, though I have no clue what it would be. Does it have a vaulted or normal skull? You shouldn't ever raise a single polish in a flock of normal birds, it will attract pecking in the crest because polish look different and often act differently.

We are raising it with a silkie who looks after it. Hoping they will continue to be good friends

That's good. Sometimes when they go belly up they don't make it, so since it's hanging in there it may do okay. The honking may be it trying to get something out of it's throat. I would have a quick look in it's beak, and listen for any rattling in it's breathing to make sure it isn't respiratory.

Back
Top Bottom