1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd bird: is this what SLW Roosters generally look like?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kelly V, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Kelly V

Kelly V Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Now that I know what rooster feathers look like, I can see that Penny is a boy. But a strange one! At 5+ months old, he's still half the size of the hens of same age. His feathers are a hot mess, and he has no wattle or comb to speak of. He still peeps like a chick.

He's either a SLW or a SLW Buckeye cross (SLW roo, buckeye or slw hen). I'm wondering if he's some kind of dwarf chicken or if they grow really slowly?

first picture is penny
    second picture is penny and gertrude, for comparison

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kelly

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    can you get a closer pic of its head at i side veiw please. not a slw. looks to be a bantam though and a mix

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I used to breed SL Wyandottes and no that is not normally what the roos look like. I would say you have a cross of something there. [​IMG]

4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Not a SLW...must be a cross.

5. Kelly V

Mar 27, 2011
    Penny came from a historic farm that has Minorcas in one pen and mostly Wyandottes in the other pen. There were two Buckeye hens in with the Wyandottes, but since all the eggs are brown, there was no telling which type hen the chicks were from. There were reports of a few "chick-zillas" as someone called a few mostly white chicks which were bigger than the rest. They were assumed to be from the Buckeyes. I picked out 6 chicks from the incubator and at the time, Penny didn't look at all different from the rest of the Wyandottes. (I had been warned not to pick a chick-zilla.)

Now, however, he obviously has a lot of white going on, but he's no chick-zilla, being somewhat small (which is why we thought he was a she until I noticed the boy-feathers). I wondered if maybe he was a sport...they have no bantams at the farm. Interestingly, they also had a chick or two with feathered feet (obvious sports) which were "disposed of" (the place is a working-and eating-farm).

I'll post a better picture of him when the sun comes up.
    Thanks!

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    He looks like a cross to me.

7. Kelly V

Mar 27, 2011
    Here's the best picture I could get of Penny. I'm interested to see what he looks like when he's done growing. We're going to try to keep him if he stays fairly quiet and unaggressive (he only crows about once a week).

[​IMG]

8. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I have no idea what he is. However, I have an EE that's 5 weeks old - and your Penny is what I can imagine my EE looking like when she's older - same pattern of colors.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Oh WOW! I'm in love with that bird! Are you near PA?

You almost have a reverse lacing going on in the breast feathers! I'm in love!

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I doubt his mom is a buckeye. he would have some red leakage over his shoulders. Where all of the wyandottes in the pen silver laced?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by