Odd buck goat query.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Sep 13, 2007.

1. My boys are displaying the usual disgusting (to me) buck behavior --- urinating on their beards (practically non-exisistant at this point) and then trying to rub their 'smelly' on me. I was anticipating this, so I washed them regular so they'd be used to being bathed.
    My Q is, why do they smell 'fruity', not musky goaty, but distinctly fruity. We have lots of wild grapes here and they eaten fallen grapes. Would that make their urine smell fruity?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    To me it smells like corn silage...they also ejaculate on their beards as well... NASTY anyway. That's why I have bucks castrated... [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hahahahahahaha! That is why I don't have male goats. Poor things are just nasty but the lady goats love it.

Anything they eat an abundance of can give them a scent. Same as when we eat lots of garlic and onions, etc. Or have you smelled someone who loves kimshee? Hahahaha! You can smell them coming a mile away for the next day or two.

I love my doe, Lilah. She loves watermelon and is given plenty to eat from my garden patch. She always smells sweet to me when I milk her.

4. Agreed, this 'male behavior' is nasty. The boys love to burp in my face (The girl goats must find that attractive. That, and all the grunting, must be a 'sure-fire-hit' with all the girls)
    That's interesting, silage is sweet-smelling, too.
    Cupid and Archer are officially 30 days from butcher. The place I had lined up for now can't take them til next month.

Sadly, I found myself building a makeshift harness and teaching Cupid to pull me up and down our lane on a makeshift sled --- what fun!

I've got to make some 'mental adjustments'.
    Lisa

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Goat is tasty, though. We have a friend who raises Boer, Alpines and Nubians...they are all mixed and we usually get a goat from them each year. It's really lean meat and high in iron and tastes just like beef to me and I cook it like beef.

I hear you though...it's different with your own. My DH keeps saying we should raise our own, but I think they'd turn into pets.... [​IMG]

6. Mrs. Hoppes

Mrs. Hoppes New Egg

Sep 14, 2007
    The sweet smell is from the grapes. Be thankful for it.

Our last buck covered me good and I just about vomited from the smell. It got in my hair real bad.

He ended up in the freezer. Buster is next. Thankfully, Buster is castrated.

7. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have two castrated male goats and they never got a beard. They are nubians.

Both are wonderful pets and we've never had any trouble with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by