Odd chick behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ridgefire, Apr 14, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Amazing to sit and watch.

I noticed a couple of my buff orpingtons every once in a while will get a running start at each other and butt their chests together. They do it a couple of times then they both run off and do something else.

Then some of the chicks keep digging holes in the shavings. I fill in the hole they work at it and dig it right back out. Same spot every time too.

I did leave the hole where they all seem to sleep.

The other funny thing is they sleep together and it seems like once in awhile one doesn't like being on the other ring of the circle so it runs across the other chicks waking everyone up.

I am starting to realize I have way too much time on my hands. [​IMG]

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Mine do the same with their pine shavings! Dig one spot out and their sleeping spot! I just left them alone, because every time I filled it they did it again and again, making their water and food get full of pine! Drove me nuts! And now I have them addicted to Cucumbers and whenever they hear me near their brooder they fly up to the edge and peep loud as possible until I go over and give them treats! Too cute!

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aren't their little chicky-behaviors a crack-up??!!!! They are still entertaining when they are all grown up, too!!! You have to wonder what goes on in their little pea brains!!! LOL

Lori

4. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    How funny! [​IMG]

We put our chicks in the coop in a much larger space today. It's hilarious to watch them.

Mine have been flying up and landing on each other. I was concerned that it was roo behavior until my Golden Comet girls did it too! [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's almost like they're having to re-establish their pecking order, even tho no new chicks were added to either bunch. They can see each other...my two different flocks and maybe that's what it is. I have a chicken wire divider between the two batches that were in each of my two brooders. Either that or they are just having fun because they have more head room now and can actually fly around a bit! But it's like they dive-bomb each other. I love watching them!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Mine do the chest-butting thing too. It's really hilarious. They run at each other top speed and butt chests. Reminds me of guys getting drunk in a frat house and bumping beer bellies. lmao

The first time I took them outside they started flying up and landing on each other...running top speed, quick stop, spin around, run top speed in the other direction. It's like "Oh, gotta run! I'm late for an important date!"

One funny thing I noticed is that my little yellow chick, who is usually the most docile of the group, got super feisty outside and decided she was in charge. The fresh air really got to her lol.

I am still amazed at how much personality they have. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I can hardly take my eyes of my chicks. It's "Chick TV"! [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They are absolutely hysterical when they get going on something. I like watching all 6 of them try to fit into one saucer plate full of cucumbers, oatmeal or yogurt. Oh yogurt time is a real mess! [​IMG]

They play chase and play fight every now and again and there is one that just walks on the sleeping ones to get on the other side of the pile and then will do it again going back to her original spot....then she settles in for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by