1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Odd chick behavior?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sweetdreamers, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Sweetdreamers

Sweetdreamers New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    I have a golden comet pullet and she's just a little over a week old. I got her at a feed store with a few others and they all seen perfectly healthy, but at random moments she will just flop on to the ground. I've never had a chick do that before, and besides that she seems perfectly healthy. She almost acts like a fainting goat... She'll just be doing something normal like running around or eating and then all of the sudden she will flop onto her side with her feet and wings awkwardly sticking out, then get up and pretend like nothing happened.... just wondering if this is something I should be worried about....
    Thanks in advance.

2. wyandottegirl

wyandottegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, BC
    One of my chicks did that. She would be scratching around and then fall onto her back. She is now 2 years old and perfectly healthy. Why she did it I'm not sure but it stopped at when she was couple of weeks old.

3. Sweetdreamers

Sweetdreamers New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    Thank you! :)

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's totally normal. I would say she is either napping as chicks during the first two weeks are apt to suddenly do, or she is assuming the sun-bathing position, which all chickens do when they want to soak up overhead heat, whether from the sun or a heat lamp. This latter is usually done with hackles and one wing raised while lying on the side.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  5. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    She's probably fine! They get sleepy before they know it and sometimes just flop over like that, springing back up just as a fast. Watching that and watching them sleep on their bellies with necks outstreched are two of my favorite things to watch baby chicks do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by