1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

odd chicken behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spmcrob33, May 24, 2016.

1. spmcrob33

spmcrob33 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    my mum's chooks have been pecking on the water container and they spill the water everywhere. Why do they do this.

there's nothing on the outside of the container that i can see.

2. bigredshaverhen

bigredshaverhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2014
    Under your bed
    Is there light reflecting off the side of the container? Some chickens are attracted to shiny things.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not odd, chickens peck to check things out...or they might see something that you can't see.
    How old are they?
    What kind of waterer?
    Sounds like you need to secure their waterer so it doesn't move enough to spill if they peck at it.

4. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    There may be things floating in the water inside the container. Chickens see things that aren't readily apparent to us humans. My guess is your water container has been sitting in the sunlight and has a nice colony of algae in it. It may be time to empty the water, scrub it out with bleach, rinse well, and refill with fresh water, placing it in a shady spot.

Of course, I may be wrong, but it would provide a logical explanation for the "strange" behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by