Odd chicken problem

jamnjoni

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 15, 2013
My hen about a year old hasn’t been able to open her beak to eat. She’s been like this about 2 weeks, I’ve had her on diluted yogurt and oatmeal, it takes her quite a while to eat it. Started her on the vitamins, electrolytes w/lactobbacillus couple of days ago. It was suggested to get her to eat soaked pellets/crumble but I have to get some. It’s like she has lock beak. I can only get her beak open about 1/4”. Other hens fine.

It is to be hoped hat your hen has improved. I have never had this problem in my birds and tried to research it without any success.
Sorry. Try posting a again and add any details if you still need help. A picture of the hen might be helpful.

I got some crumbles and have added water to make a mush. She is improving so I’m hoping she’ll be able to eat regularly soon. She seems stronger which is good. 👍

My hen about a year old hasn’t been able to open her beak to eat. She’s been like this about 2 weeks, I’ve had her on diluted yogurt and oatmeal, it takes her quite a while to eat it. Started her on the vitamins, electrolytes w/lactobbacillus couple of days ago. It was suggested to get her to eat soaked pellets/crumble but I have to get some. It’s like she has lock beak. I can only get her beak open about 1/4”. Other hens fine.
May want to take her to the vet. Have you tried to force her beak open? Does it open? If so, how wide?

The last person I conversed with that took a chicken to vet paid $400 for indefinite answers.

I got some crumbles and have added water to make a mush. She is improving so I’m hoping she’ll be able to eat regularly soon. She seems stronger which is good. 👍
That is good news-May it continue.

Back
Top Bottom