Odd color yolk in goose eggs?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I have beautiful white Embdens, 2 ganders & 4 geese. (Our original goose, Gertrude, is my avatar picture now) The ladies are a layin' like crazy right now! I don't want to incubate any of the eggs this year, and cannot find anyone else who wants them. I have been cracking them to eat, but many of them have an odd color to the yolk. Some have the beautiful golden yellow yolk, but many instead are a dull greenish-tannish-mustard-y yellow. The whites seem to be a bit cloudy in these too. They all are collected daily from the nests the girls make around the yard. The odd-colored ones don't smell bad, but I find it off-putting, I don't want to eat them.

What could be the cause of this? Would it affect their fertility if someone wants to incubate them? Are they really all right to eat?

I've been giving them away with the chicken and duck eggs that I sell, as something interesting to see, perhaps eat, or to use for crafts. I don't want someone to have an unpleasant surprise when they open them.

Quote:
All i can tell you is that the golden yellow yokes come from geese feeding on fresh green grass. When my geese were only on feed the yokes looked different and may be like the ones you describe. My yokes were always turbid if compared to chicken or even duck eggs.

I know chicken egg yolks vary in color from what the chickens eat, so I'm guessing the same is valid about goose eggs. Store bought factory eggs have very pale yellow yolks, and I've seen dark orange/tangerine yolks in country eggs from free-ranging chickens.

My goose eggs (12 so far) have been a bit varying in yolk color but all have been a kind of pale yellow. There's hardly any grass here yet, so the green my goose eats all come from a store.

Back
Top Bottom