Odd colour - what made this possible?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Svarthona, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    I have an odd colour question. Usually my roo and his girls produce somehow foreseeable colours for me, but this bird really is a surprise.

[​IMG]
    It´s kind of hard to photograph the true colour since it get´s washed out to white by the flash and in sunlight pictures, but this photo comes very close to it´s natural colour. It´s a strange shade of light grey - smudgy white mix and becomes gradually darker in the neck/head area.
    Any ideas what colour this could be and which genetics caused it?

The parents are
    [​IMG] [​IMG] (clickable)
    All their female offspring, except this oddball [​IMG], was either black or blue in solid or cuckoo.
    [​IMG] I swear it wasn´t the postman.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The youngster is a very light blue. It obviously did not inherit Papa's barring. A the bird matures some autosomal red from Papa may show up--typically on hte breast of females, although it CAN show in feather patterns on the back) or on the shoulders of males.

Pretty bird [​IMG]

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    She's very pretty! I've never seen a blue pop out like that. Now I want some [​IMG]

4. Svarthona

Svarthona Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    [​IMG] That´s blue?
    Thank you, I´d never guessed that! Honestly I didn´t even know that light blue is looking that light. Never seen it before.

My regular blues are a lot darker. Usually like this
    [​IMG]

or even like this, when they inherit the skintone from their mom
    [​IMG]

Which colours can I expect when crossing the light little lady back to her father? 50% blue and light blue and 25% black (50:50 of those in cuckoo) and 25% splash?

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

OMG .... that rooster is beautiful ! He looks sorta like my mutt roo. What kind is he?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks like rec white to me from that pic.... wait till it's moult it's baby feathers...

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    No, white is white, not greyish. It could end up splash, but I don't think so (due to the darker head). In depth of colour the blue looks a lot like these (however, mine have a lot of red in them):
    [​IMG]

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    I'll have a look around the back.... I'm sure I've got a couple of blue base pekin chick that's going to be white.... if I find one I'll take a pic of it...

found 1...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:What color/cross do you have there Sonoran? Those look cool, do you have side pics?

10. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Svarthona, Your odd colored bird looks like a splash, I have a few Plymouth Rocks similar to yours in color. A very light blue.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by