Odd colour - what made this possible?

Svarthona

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
I have an odd colour question. Usually my roo and his girls produce somehow foreseeable colours for me, but this bird really is a surprise.

42342_lavendar_640x480.jpg

It´s kind of hard to photograph the true colour since it get´s washed out to white by the flash and in sunlight pictures, but this photo comes very close to it´s natural colour. It´s a strange shade of light grey - smudgy white mix and becomes gradually darker in the neck/head area.
Any ideas what colour this could be and which genetics caused it?

The parents are
(clickable)
All their female offspring, except this oddball
tongue.png
, was either black or blue in solid or cuckoo.
hu.gif
I swear it wasn´t the postman.

The youngster is a very light blue. It obviously did not inherit Papa's barring. A the bird matures some autosomal red from Papa may show up--typically on hte breast of females, although it CAN show in feather patterns on the back) or on the shoulders of males.

Pretty bird
smile.png

ep.gif
That´s blue?
Thank you, I´d never guessed that! Honestly I didn´t even know that light blue is looking that light. Never seen it before.

My regular blues are a lot darker. Usually like this

or even like this, when they inherit the skintone from their mom

Which colours can I expect when crossing the light little lady back to her father? 50% blue and light blue and 25% black (50:50 of those in cuckoo) and 25% splash?

No, white is white, not greyish. It could end up splash, but I don't think so (due to the darker head). In depth of colour the blue looks a lot like these (however, mine have a lot of red in them):
20590_imgp0854.jpg

I'll have a look around the back.... I'm sure I've got a couple of blue base pekin chick that's going to be white.... if I find one I'll take a pic of it...

found 1...

21415_p1011228.jpg

Last edited:
Svarthona, Your odd colored bird looks like a splash, I have a few Plymouth Rocks similar to yours in color. A very light blue.
5806_dscf0097.jpg

Back
Top Bottom