Odd combo of symptoms

They've all been dosed with wormer, electrolytes, vitamins, calcium and another suggestion I got from the guy at the feed store. He says not only himself but others around here run through a bag of medicated chick feed a couple times a year...so...more feed.:) Sick baby got the vitamins and wormer dosed down her throat. She's still talking to me. ha

They've all been dosed with wormer, electrolytes, vitamins, calcium and another suggestion I got from the guy at the feed store. He says not only himself but others around here run through a bag of medicated chick feed a couple times a year...so...more feed.:) Sick baby got the vitamins and wormer dosed down her throat. She's still talking to me. ha

Was she vaccinated? If she was able to get up and go up and down the ramp today, it may not be Mareks. I think once they start putting that leg out like that, they don't just usually jump up and start walking again. It could be a vitamin/mineral deficiency or disease. Are you seeing any swelling around her joints or anything like that? There are other diseases that can cause leg problems, I can't recall off hand what they are.
Check this link out when you have time:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/

Lots of information on diseases, symptoms, treatment, etc.

I agree. I'm dosing the whole family. :) They wanted scratch but I kept telling them I want them to just eat what's in their house for a couple days. They weren't happy but I'm the boss.

AND....my little girl ate a little today. I don't know for sure how much she drank but I got a dropper full down her. I got to thinking about the sequence of events and her symptoms and started wondering if the neighborhood hawk might have visited. I'm starting to suspect an injured leg. Feeling her all over,, the only time she complained was when I reached her upper right leg.

I guess I'll see how things are going in the morning. She's in a quiet room now.

I agree. I'm dosing the whole family. :) They wanted scratch but I kept telling them I want them to just eat what's in their house for a couple days. They weren't happy but I'm the boss.

AND....my little girl ate a little today. I don't know for sure how much she drank but I got a dropper full down her.  I got to thinking about the sequence of events and her symptoms and started wondering if the neighborhood hawk might have visited. I'm starting to suspect an injured leg. Feeling  her all over,, the only time she complained was when I reached her upper right leg.
I guess I'll see how things are going in the morning. She's in a quiet room now.

Interesting. A paralyzed leg usually wouldn't prompt a response. It may very well be an injury. Maybe a torn or strained ligament? Gosh, I wouldn't know how to help with that. Would need a vets advice for that one. Maybe an ace bandage wrapped close to the leg and body to keep it in place?? Idk.

I do know that there is aspirin water on the market made for chickens to help with illness and pain. If you have baby aspirin you could cut it in halfs and maybe give her one half in morning, one half at night. They will usually just take it right out of your hand. If that fails, crush it and add to a bit of water and put it in syringe. It has to be asprin, not tylenol or Motrin or anything else.

The wormer is called Wazine and we figured out the dosage at about 1/8 oz per gallon. She's still in the cage but I've seen her eating and several times a day, she moves around but it's still the same leg out. I noticed earlier that she was holding it out front instead of out to the side.

The wormer is called Wazine and we figured out the dosage at about 1/8 oz per gallon. She's still in the cage but I've seen her eating and several times a day, she moves around but it's still the same leg out. I noticed earlier that she was holding it out front instead of out to the side.

Wazine dosage is one ounce per gallon of water for 24 hours only.

Sorry. I've been pushing and rushing to get things done before snow flies. What you said about the worming....um...after 3 days of it I guess I better stop. oops...
I've been afraid to mix too many things in the water at the same time and was also adding the vitamins. I decided to start on antibiotics in the morning,, along with the vitamins.
The girl is still in the cage and I'm beginning to wonder if she isn't enjoying a vacation, except that she hasn't been eating much. I just now checked on her and saw her pull both feet closer to her body so I'm really starting to suspect she was attacked and the only thing around here that could get to the chickens in the back yard, is a neighborhood hawk. I really do wonder.

Either way, antibiotics start tomorrow and I'll keep up with the vitamins and electrolytes. And I'm not sure if she's one of my originals or one hatched later but I have my suspicions that she is one of my own hatch-lings and never inoculated.

Oh yeah...on the advice of the local farm supply, I'm going through a bag of medicated chick starter for all of them. Started that day before yesterday.

Sorry. I've been pushing and rushing to get things done before snow flies. What you said about the worming....um...after 3 days of it I guess I better stop. oops...
I've been afraid to mix too many things in the water at the same time and was also adding the vitamins. I decided to start on antibiotics in the morning,, along with the vitamins.
The girl is still in the cage and I'm beginning to wonder if she isn't enjoying a vacation, except that she hasn't been eating much. I just now checked on her and saw her pull both feet closer to her body so I'm really starting to suspect she was attacked and the only thing around here that could get to the chickens in the back yard, is a neighborhood hawk. I really do wonder.

Either way, antibiotics start tomorrow and I'll keep up with the vitamins and electrolytes. And I'm not sure if she's one of my originals or one hatched later but I have my suspicions that she is one of my own hatch-lings and never inoculated.

Oh yeah...on the advice of the local farm supply, I'm going through a bag of medicated chick starter for all of them. Started that day before yesterday.

How old are your chickens? Medicated chick starter really won't do anything for birds that are a couple of months old already. There is very little medicine in it. It's more of a preventative that will help your chicks build resistance to cocci while they develop. It won't cure a sick bird. If you are dealing with a sick bird because it has coccidiosis, your best bet is Corid. You would find that in the cattle section and a store employee would not likely direct you to that if you are looking for chicken medications.

Did the store employee direct you to medicated chick starter for worms? Medicated chick starter will do nothing for worms. Nothing. He doesn't know what he's talking about if thats what he said to use. Get the Wazine or other wormers mentioned in the posts.

The other birds aren't showing any signs of sickness but knowing I had one that was down, he suggested just running through one bag of the medicated as a preventative measure.
Wazine is what I'm using for the worms, although I don't really think that's the problem. The only other things I have on have besides the electrolytes/vitamins is Duramycin-10(Tetracycline Hydrochloride powder) and Tetroxy HCA-280( Oxytetracycline HCI). I don't have money right now to run get something more.

Back
Top Bottom