odd egg

dehowery

Chirping
Feb 13, 2017
alabama
egg no yolk2.jpg egg no yolk1.jpg We think our wellsummer is finally starting to lay again and WE THINK this is her first egg in over a year. We got her in the spring of 2017. She laid that year, Most of our girls stopped laying thru the winter as she did. So spring came around they all started laying except Red. She hasn't laid an egg since then. We think this is her egg because of the size. it's an extra large egg. the shell is really thin it was broken when I found it. When I cracked it open I found (Refer 1st picture) so I opened the white ball and found another ball inside which I also opened (see picture #2) No yolk just whites, the anchor for the yolk and 2 layers of the protective shell membranes. We have seen the thin shells on new layers before. But usually they have a yolk. Also when she laid before she had speckled eggs this shell was not speckled. Any ideas about this ?

Looks like possibly and egg within an egg.
I'm not sure about the white looking "cooked".
Is she acting normal, eating/drinking and pooping o.k.? I would just keep a watch on her over the next few days, hopefully it's just a glitch coming back into lay.

Do you offer oyster shell free choice?
If this happens again, I would give her extra calcium for a few days - 1/2tablet Caltrate to see if that helps.

Odd eggs can be a glitch or if it continues, then it is usually an indication that something is going on with the reproductive system. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done except to make sure they have a good quality complete feed and parasites (worms, lice/mites) are under control.

Are you positive it came from the Wellie?
I would like to see this cut in half...was it really firm like a boiled egg white?
View attachment 1693448
I opened the white ball and found another ball inside which I also opened (see picture #2) No yolk just whites, the anchor for the yolk and 2 layers of the protective shell membranes. There were just loose whites . We are not sure it's her egg , the size was why we think she laid it. The other grls don't lay eggs that large.

Back
Top Bottom