1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

odd eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cwilly, Jul 31, 2008.

1. cwilly

cwilly New Egg

Apr 6, 2008
    I have 5 ISA Brown hens that are about 21 weeks old. About 2 weeks ago, I got my first eggs. I have been getting 3 nice brown eggs every day since, so I assume that only 3 of the hens are laying. Yesterday, along with my 3 regular eggs, I got 1 small brittle egg that had a flat spot on it. Then when I went out yesterday evening there were 2 eggs on the floor of the coop that were transparent and the consistency of rubber!. This morning, I found my 3 nice eggs, and another very small brittle, pale looking egg with the same flat spot. What gives? Is the small brittle egg safe to eat? Thanks for any advice.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I had a couple of those funny eggs too. It was when they first started to lay. I think it means there bodies are just getting the hang of things. As long as they arn't leaking they should be safe to eat. However I just tossed the whole thing in a pan and scrambled it up and fed it back to the hens. They loved it!

3. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    my chickens are 23 weeks old and still not laying is that normal

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    My understanding is they should be laying at about 19 weeks. However I think dif breeds mature at dif speeds. I have some that arnt laying yet and are about the same age as yours. I cant tell which ones though. I get 6 eggs a day and have 11 that are of age. Does anyone know if there are breeds that lay later than others?

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have RIR's. My first bird started laying @ 17 wks, the rest started laying shortly after. The last one started laying @ 27 wks. Some breeds lay more often than others. Leghorns are probably the best layers.

Here is a great site to get information on most every breed. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

6. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    My chicken book says the average age a chicken starts laying is 17-23 weeks. I think some breeds go even longer than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by