Odd feather growth

slystr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
Dallas TX
100_0221.jpg

this is the chick I had that I thought was goin gto die. She seems to have a crooked neck, a lump in her throat area I thought wsas an impaction but that was 2 weeks ago. She is isolated form her sisters, is MUCH smaller than the others at this point and still had trouble balancing at times. Other times she is upright and trying to fly. I noticed her wings look strange as they are growing in on her right( the lump)side. does this look normal?

hmm.png
my daughter hatched chicks in her 3rd grade class and one of them was crippled. he turned out to be a rooster and was smaller than the others. we kept him isolated until he learned to fly a bit. he survived 3 an a half years. once yours gets stronger and ajusts to its disability it will be fine. you may want to keep a warmer available in the colder times they are more likly to get pnomonia. that's what did our "clumsy" in. his leg was not in its socket for some reason we took him to a vet. they said that the leg was not broken it just never developed right. they recommended destroying it. we could not it was tring to survive it deservied the chance to fight for its life. good luck let me know plezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Last edited:
It looks like it hasn't been "picking" at it's feathers to release them from the quill sheath. Probably a side effect of it not feeling well, or not being able to groom on that side due to the sore neck/lump.
hmm.png
The feathers themselves look healthy, they just haven't been "cleaned" of the sheathing that normal grooming takes care of.

Do you know what kind of chicken it is?

Back
Top Bottom