Odd Female duck behavior - Mounting each other

Unless they are hurting the small female, I would let nature alone.
Years ago I had 2 male cats, they took turns doing each other. Neither was complaining (meowing) so I just let it go. They were both neutered and both grew up to to be old men together.

Help have had two males and two females since they were born recently one of the males passed away so we have one male and two females one of the females is a little smaller than the other two but I don't know what I need to do because there is times where I will find the mail constantly going after the smaller female and then the other female will come and start biting on her neck at the same time he's doing his thing to her it's like so mean to especially watch but also we'll find the big female getting on top of the little female like if it was a male it's weird I don't understand this is my first time having sex so please someone help I don't know what I need to do if this is normal I tried separating them and when I do they join again and it is really really bad the two females seem fine when they're alone I think the most of the time yes they are fine together I don't get it
It's normal and a type of dominance. What breed of ducks do you have? It's usually recommended to have at least 4 females per drake.
Are they letting the smaller one eat?

Last edited:
Help have had two males and two females since they were born recently one of the males passed away so we have one male and two females one of the females is a little smaller than the other two but I don't know what I need to do because there is times where I will find the mail constantly going after the smaller female and then the other female will come and start biting on her neck at the same time he's doing his thing to her it's like so mean to especially watch but also we'll find the big female getting on top of the little female like if it was a male it's weird I don't understand this is my first time having sex so please someone help I don't know what I need to do if this is normal I tried separating them and when I do they join again and it is really really bad the two females seem fine when they're alone I think the most of the time yes they are fine together I don't get it
You probably need to add more females or re-home the male. In the meantime you should make sure your small female is protected and not over-mated. You could separate the male from the females with a wire fence or something they can see through when you're not there to supervise.

It's normal and a type of dominance. What breed of ducks do you have? It's usually recommended to have at least 4 females per drake.
Are they letting the smaller one eat?
Yea they are letting her eat. I have female Mallard or buff Orpington not sure. Weird she doesn't have the blue on her wing. male blue swedish, female Indian runner ( she is just smaller then others) but recently I've noticed the hair on Mallard even her back of her neck is all getting bald to. I hate it I feel like it's just the male being a male horn duck lol it just sucks I can't watch them but I guess if it's not hurting them they should be fine.

Well if she's getting bald on the back of her neck it's too much and you can intervene to protect her. You should probably separate the male from the females for part of the day or at night, and also get more females if you want to keep the male.

If you post some pics we can help with identifying and seeing the degree of the bald patch. It could be that over mating is happening as well.

IMG_20210820_162047781.jpg
IMG_20210820_161306533.jpg
IMG_20210820_161925358.jpg

Male blue swedish ( female Mallard) (female Indian runner)

This doesn't happen often, but I have sometimes seen one of my female ducks mount another female in the water. They do the head bobbing and just like they do when the drake wants to mount them, and then one of the girls gets on the others back. I have seen 2 different ones do it, and we have drakes so it's not a matter of no males around.
Is this normal, or do I just have weird ducks?
I just watched my ducks do this. I have 4 (2 male/2female) who were bought at tractor supply at the same time and raised together for 2 months. Then I bought 2 more females the same age as mine from someone and added them to my flock. They are all now 4 months old.
My 4 originals are always showing the 2 newbies that the 4 Musketeers are the leaders of the 6 pack.

My 2 female dogs hump each other too, to exhort their dominance.

Back
Top Bottom