Odd findings while butchering...need help/pics

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Terri O, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

OK friends--I NEED your help now....I had to butcher another meatie today and I found strange things and I really want some opinions on this! Here are the pics I took. FIrst I thought it was odd that the wing had a very swollen top part (I dont have a pic of this) I get the bird all plucked up and I cut open the Top part of the wing where it is all swollen...it appears that there is an enclosed cyst there (smelly, cheesy stuff) Then I see a bit of bone sticking out near the lower joint...maybe an injury?
    OK--I get past that and I draw the bird out. Here is a pic of the liver with a pen for comparison:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unfortunately I had to take the pics with my phone, send them to my son who then sent them to my computer; the quality is not great!
    What is the deal with this great big liver? It is probably DOUBLE the size of the one from yesterday! I should have weighed it...

Now is a really odd thing I found in the same bird. This is a picture of the stuff I pulled out. I decided to cut the bird into pieces (glad I did cause then I found this) because I was not going to consume that wing with the cyst in it.
    [​IMG]
    This is the split breast. Right down along the keel bone I saw something odd. There was some white material that was kind of stringy. I reminded me of cooked chicken but real dry. Places had a bit of a greenish tinge. On the left you can see the hole I got it out of. Then I sliced along the keel bone on the right side and got a whole bunch out of that side! It didnt have any smell at all and felt kind of spongy. The only thing I can liken it to is the weird feathery "lung things" in a lobster. (weird I know) It was INSIDE the bird not under the skin like a breast blister would have been.

OK--does anyone have any ideas on this? Three things in one bird that I have never seen before...and I have butchered many birds...please advise if I should even eat this bird?
    Thanks a bunch!!!! TerriO

Calling all Wisconsinites....come and enjoy the days of winter with us on the "Cheesehead" thread! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=245700
    And you might want to check THIS out! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/734707/fourth-annual-bigzios-wi-cheesehead-chickenstock-thread
    My Motto: " Don't just do it, overdo it"

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Makes me wonder if she had a systemic yeast infection, or some sort of fungal infection. Just guesswork. I wouldn't eat her, myself.

3. Terri O

Thanks...this semms to be the consensus on the cheesehead thread...I was hoping to get more info here...to

4. Terri O

Do you all have any ideas where else I should post this to get answers what this is that I found? Thanks! TO

5. Terri O

This kind of makes me worry about the rest of the 20 birds I am planning on butchering next Thursday! TO

6. Terri O

can anyone else help me with this?

7. Terri O

Well, maybe not the? I am looking for another site (state veterinary?) to check these pics. The butcher date in next week! [​IMG]If any are still alive that is! THanks--TO

8. Terri O

We found out what it is and it is very common in broilers and turkeys. It is DPM and the bird is safe to eat. Google deep pectoral myopathy and the pictures are very close to what I have here. T

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Thanks for posting this - glad to hear it is safe to eat - I would have freaked out and pitched the whole thing.

10. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I didn't see this before or I would have posted. For people who don't know, the smaller muscle in the breast area, the tender, is encased in a membrane. If a bird flaps really hard or something like that, they can injure that muscle (in this particular bird, it probably happened when the injury to the wing occurred). When injured, the muscle will swell but the membrane encasing that particular muscle doesn't allow for expansion. The damaged tissue has the blood flow cut off because of the swelling with no room for it to go and the tissue starts to die. That is what is seen in the picture, it is the dead section of tissue. I myself have no problem eating the rest of the bird but I wouldn't sell it to someone if I knew it had green tenders. As we raise broilers into the thousands each year, this is something we see from time to time. We probably see it in 1/500 birds or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by