Odd hen~roster relationship

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Marc33, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Marc33

Marc33 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    We've got 33 hens and 2 roosters. We have one RIR hen who lays her egg every day inside a chicken tractor, and our Polish Crested rooster stands over her every single day while she lays. Isn't this odd? The romantic in me would love to think they have fallen madly in love and can't bear to be separated, but I'm sure that's not it! Anyone have any insights?

2. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    I am with you on this one I think its love. I also think it is very sweet of him- does he do this with all your hens that are laying?

3. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Not odd at all...the roosters often "talk" to them while laying!

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    After years of watching my chickens and reading BYC, I think a roo hangs around a laying hen to protect her from preditors during such a vulnerable time. And I think he talks to her to let her know he's there watching over her and to encourage her to lay and get back to the flock so she will no longer be so vulnerable. Love? Maybe. More than likely a control freak trying to keep his hens in a row, so to speak. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by