Odd looking poo

Snozzle

Songster
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Tri-Cities Tennessee
My chickens all look happy and healthy and are free ranging and no one acts sick, but yesterday I noticed a very runny clear poo in the driveway. I am thinking it is from my Faverolles roo named Boba Fett, it's only one chicken that is doing it. I looked up a page that has pictures of chicken poo(I know what a strange sounding statement lol) and there was something similar on it saying that it was high in uates and may point towards kidney problems. Has anyone else seen this before? He started this yesterday morning, but I only find one a day, the rest of the time it looks rather normal. I wonder if he has been eating a bunch of the layer pellets and they cause him kidney problems, but he is out all day eating bugs and greens, I doubt he eats much chicken food at all and I have the regular food up higher, because my hens are shorter. The chickens also keep my boyfriends grandpa company when we are at work, he has dementia and feeds them all kinds of junk, mostly corn dogs and bananas I believe. I can't tell him not to feed them, he will forget within a minute or 2 what I said. I would hate to put them up, because they make him laugh and he doesn't get bored and depressed when he gets to watch them goof around in the yard, but I don't want him to kill my birds with junk food either. Boba is a very sweet, gentle and silly roo, I don't want anything bad to happen to him
I would appreciate any input on this, thank you!

this one is a really good reference too, because the cocci poop is very different in this chart, and i think it is probably the earlier onset before the big bloody ones:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

i see what you mean about the urates - but i would keep an eye on further droppings before getting too worries, it could be a bit too much junky food, and a one off. Monitor behaviour too.

this one is a really good reference too, because the cocci poop is very different in this chart, and i think it is probably the earlier onset before the big bloody ones:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

i see what you mean about the urates - but i would keep an eye on further droppings before getting too worries, it could be a bit too much junky food, and a one off. Monitor behaviour too.
Thanks, I haven't seen this site yet. He is acting as good as always, practicing his rusty crowing, hopping around and running after bugs, following me around the yard to turn over logs and rocks for him. He doesn't look sick at all to me, he is my baby so I worry about him, he is the only survivor of a terrible predator attack earlier this spring that took my other faverolles.

Back
Top Bottom