Odd looking tail feathers and no eggs

TanyaTS

In the Brooder
My just over a year old Calico Princess hasn’t laid in almost 3 months, and it has coincided with bad looking tail feathers. Please see photos attached - she hasn’t lost any whole feathers - just the barbs from the shaft of now about three or so tail feathers. Checked for egg bound months ago when this first began - no issue there. Given her a couple of warm bath soaks. No visible worms in poop, comb and wattles nice bright red, eating and drinking normally. I’ve searched here on the topic and have tried adding vitamins and minerals to feed, went back to higher protein feed to see if that would help (they are on Dumor went from organic layer feed to trying grower for higher protein to see if it helps) but still no eggs and sad looking feathers. I occasionally add sunflower seeds to feed as a treat and wondering if that was messing things up then I read sunflower seeds are good for feather health. They all have probiotics, plenty of time in pasture and in my woods free ranging, I keep their coop VERY clean and scoop poop twice daily from coop and fenced in run. I sprinkle diatomaceous earth and use PDZ. Any other ideas? I need help from the veterans :)

Attachments

• D805147F-F331-43AC-BEE9-2E233F4F9FB0.jpeg
    D805147F-F331-43AC-BEE9-2E233F4F9FB0.jpeg
    883.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 81A81487-FBBC-40D1-A5E5-FDC8071F8BF4.jpeg
    81A81487-FBBC-40D1-A5E5-FDC8071F8BF4.jpeg
    840.8 KB · Views: 10
She’s at top of pecking order. I’ve got 3 other hens. They are all the same age. Before the Calicostopped laying my Wyandotte stopped - did all the egg bound check on her too, baths. actually took her to the vet did fecal float test , all was clear. Not long after vet check the Wyandotte started a molt but she hasn’t laid since February. I just wasn’t sure if what my Calico’s tail feathers are like is considered a molt? And if it is a molt, how long do they go without laying?

The rest of her looks beautiful. It’s not the time for a molt. Make sure they’re not overcrowded, bored, or under any kind of stress. Do you have enough nesting boxes for your hens? There should be about one box per 4 hens. Make sure they’re getting proper nutrition and not too many treats. Treats should be just 5% of their diet.

Also, make sure they have enough room in their coop. Each bird should have 3 sq. ft. of space. All these can cause stress with feather loss and going off lay.

Time for an egg hunt I think. There is a pile of eggs out there somewhere.
.....or lock 'em up!!

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom