odd looking vent in baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimf, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    OK, So you have all been great with my pasty butt questions and I have tried several things and think we are doing better. [​IMG]As I was cleaning a bit of poo off of a different chicks feathers I noticed her vent is different looking than the vent of my "problem chick." The chick that has been having the consistent pasty butt has a vent that seems to protrude a bit. Almost like a small umbilical hernia in an infant. As she puckers it when I clean her I can see the opening and it points a bit more downward than just out. I hope that makes sense.... So when she poos it goes down her bottom rather that out a bit from her body. [​IMG]

Does anyone know if this is a big issue? Will she outgrow it as she gets bigger. It's no biggie, for now, to clean her a couple times a day, especially since it seems to be clumping away from her vent now (I did trim her feathers this morning too). But I can't imagine having to do this daily on a full size hen!?! Any knowledgeable folks have any ideas??

As always, thank you for any info!!

2. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    i think the problem is that since she had pasty butt, the poop held her vent downward. I don't think its a problem really, but i think you should do a bit of research on the Internet.

3. kimf

kimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Seminole County, FL
    Thanks..I am looking into it more. Are you thinking it will be ok in the long run? That would be awesome! Noticed you were in FL too!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by